Hi Can Anyone Advise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi can anyone advise me in my problem I am a scooter owner. I have insurance with Bennetts Bike Insurers, ok may as well start from the beginning. I had a accident on my bike where my bike was parked outside my local shops, I was in the shop when I heard a large bang so went out to check and seen that my bike was on the floor and was knocked over by a white van reversing back so asked driver for details he was very sorry and said he did not see the bike in his mirrors he gave me his name address and telephone number of the company he worked for and his reg number (there was no witnesses). Ok all good so far.

Well called Bennetts insurers about the accident they sent out a assessor a few days later to check out the damage and because the panals cost so much the assessor told me they was writing the bike off as being rendered beyond economical repair. Ok fine I thought (was looking into the idea of getting a bigger cc bike anyway) they where putting the price of the bike at £2000.

So I thought I will start looking for a new bike as I need it for commuting. Well this is when the problems started ,seen the bike I liked even put a deposit down and checked around for new insurance quotes best online quote I got you guessed it Bennetts insurance at £475 so thought great should be easier just to stay with them so called them about getting new insurance for my new bike over the phone they quoted me £680 !!! nothing unusual there then I told the lady that I also got online quote with you at £475 and told her the ref number so fine they matched the internet quote.

I told her that I have a on going claim at the moment she then called Zenith insurers to find out what was happening about the claim and she says its still pending and as such we cant use your NCD so the quote is now £1200 !!!! I said to the lady that my bike is getting scrapped and I need to a have bike for work she said call Zenith insurers .

Called Zenith in. and spoke to another lady she said to me its pending as the
other party have not responded back to there insurers she also explained to me that it can take months to sort out!!! and if they don't respond back I will then be liable for the claim and lose my NCB.

So now am stuck in no man's land waiting for them to pick up the bike next week to be scrapped and me with no bike commute with and as I work early mornings it is almost impossible for me to get into work by transport I would not mind if it was my fault but it is not........so any advise would all be helpful
thanks.......

Comments

• marcellep
    marcellep Posts: 1,695 Forumite
    Your stcuk in a very popular situation when most claims happen. Your NCB will be frozen until such time the claim is settled either in your favor or against you. As long as you have legal cover on your policy, its up to your insurer to chase the other party. Whilst this goes on, there is nothing you can do.
    If I have been helpful - Hit the Thanks button
  • Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    If the vehicle is a right off you should simply be changing the vehicle on cover with the insurer rather than looking at a new policy, this will at least give you until the end of the policy year for the NCD situation to be resolved.
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • If the vehicle is a right off you should simply be changing the vehicle on cover with the insurer rather than looking at a new policy, this will at least give you until the end of the policy year for the NCD situation to be resolved.

Sorry bit dim witted here are you saying in my layman terms that I can just keep the policy I have and just change it to a new bike.......
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry bit dim witted here are you saying in my layman terms that I can just keep the policy I have and just change it to a new bike.......

Yes. Also if the damage is simply to the panels of the scooter its worth checking if you can salvage it, panels are damaged a lot by young kids so the parts appear on ebay, you could then swap the panels and sell your bike on once it is repaired and registered Cat D
  • Does it need to be the same cc bike or can I get bigger bike.......
  • Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    The premiums will be recalculated based on the new vehicle so if you want a bigger bike you can buy one but the premiums would go up if it is considered a higher risk.
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport