Maintenance and income support

Options
Hi, i will try and cut a lont story short, basically my husband has agreed to give me the rent of a house he has put in a trust fund for the children as maintenance for them, how will this affect my income support? I have heard that i will only see a part of this maintenance and the government takes the rest of it, or i will lose my income support. I am really struggling with money and could really do with the extra money. Really appreciate any advice.:confused:

Comments

• bonnie_2
    bonnie_2 Posts: 1,463 Forumite
    Options
    How much is it? Any income you recieve will affect your benifits.
    Has he actually given you the house or just the rent money from the tennants.
    If you have your own house it will affect your housing benifit.
    Is the money coming direct to you or elsewhere.
  • Gorgeous_George
    Options
    So, if I've got this right.

The house itself is in trust for the children. Meanwhile, you will be receiving the rent that the house realises. And you want your benefits calculated as if you weren't receiving this rental income.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • bonnie_2
    bonnie_2 Posts: 1,463 Forumite
    Options
    If the house is in trust for the children, will it still not affect her hb, the same as childrens savings do.
    My friend had her own house, and couldn't claim because of it. she had to sell up and rent, due to not being able to pay the mortgage, but benifits wouldn't help because she ownwd a property.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    If you receive the rent from the property it will be classed as income and your benefits assessed accordingly.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • nadi_2
    nadi_2 Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    thank you for your responses, im still unclear as to whether it was be classed as income or maintenance, and the house will be in a trust fund for the kids for when they reach 18 theres a long way to go yet for that, their dad and myself will be trustees, the rent would be around 300 pounds per month, is there any other way round this?
  • Sensemaya
    Sensemaya Posts: 1,739 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nadi wrote:
    Hi, i will try and cut a lont story short, basically my husband has agreed to give me the rent of a house he has put in a trust fund for the children as maintenance for them, how will this affect my income support? I have heard that i will only see a part of this maintenance and the government takes the rest of it, or i will lose my income support. I am really struggling with money and could really do with the extra money. Really appreciate any advice.:confused:

and another quote from one of your other postings.
    nadi wrote:
    Hi, wander if anyone can help!!! im separated from my husband (he left for another woman) we have 3 children, i am on income support and wish to go back to work part time, the only problem is i am receiving legal aid for my divorce, how will i stand if i go to work part time? Would really appreciate any help, really worrying about what to do, had interview for a job today, and have to consider all things:confused:

The best way forward would be to get a part time job and go on WTC. You would then receive all the maintenance. As things are not settled yet regarding your divorce I think you need to look at the trust fund in greater depth. You really need maintenance for the children now rather than it being placed in a trust fund. I wondering about his motives behind this suggestion.

Regarding legal funding. You would still be eligible for this if you received WTC, but all income ( inc child support ) would be taken into consideration. You need to work 16 hours per week and over to qualify.

Fiddle about on this website.

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/
  • Gorgeous_George
    Options
    Was the house that is in trust the former marital home by any chance?

:)

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • nadi_2
    nadi_2 Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    hi GG, the house is not the former marital home. The rent from there is maintenance until they are 18 when the house will be transferred to them. thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure