Options
1235»

Comments

• BDDazza
    BDDazza Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 June 2016 at 9:28PM
    Options
    I know this thread is old but stumbled upon it.

I recently completed my PRINCE2 Foundation, I booked the exam only through APMG's website for £240. I Then bought David Hinde's PRINCE2 Study Guide from Amazon for £20.

Self study is more effective than taking a course. I worked out that I could fail 10 times and it would still be cheaper than a course. Usually these courses only last 3-5 days so the information isn't retained after the exam.

I also supplemented my reading by watching educational YouTube videos on the topic of project manager and PRINCE2.

What is a Team Plan in PRINCE2?

What is an Exception Plan in PRINCE2?

What is Quality Management Strategy in PRINCE2?

What is the Configuration Management Strategy in PRINCE2?

The Executive, Senior User and Senior Supplier

Outputs, outcomes, benefits and disbenefits of a PRINCE2 Project

The Business Case Theme - Benefit Review Plan in a PRINCE2 Project

The Plans Theme - Project Plan in a PRINCE2 Project

• Mona777
    Mona777 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, interesting topic as I am thinking about doing the Prince2 (foundation & practitioner) also in the near future.
    I was wondering how long it will take to be exam-ready with self-study. I will have about 5 hours a week max to spend on it only.
    Thanks!
  • BDDazza
    Options
    Mona777 wrote: »
    Hi, interesting topic as I am thinking about doing the Prince2 (foundation & practitioner) also in the near future.
    I was wondering how long it will take to be exam-ready with self-study. I will have about 5 hours a week max to spend on it only.
    Thanks!

It depend on the individual. Assuming you've don't have a project management background I would say 5hrs per week is the minimum. It took me about 3-4 months of casual studying to get through.

Here are some typical Practice Questions to get an idea of what to expect.

• JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mona777 wrote: »
    Thanks!

If you pay for a training course it's 2 and a half days of study then the foundation exam.

Then 2 days of study and the practioner exam.

If your spending 5 hours a week on it i would suggest you could sit the foundation exam after 3 weeks of study and the practioner after another 3 weeks.

Also you need to remember it's really easy
  • BDDazza
    edited 26 June 2016 at 1:34PM
    Options
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    If you pay for a training course it's 2 and a half days of study then the foundation exam.

Then 2 days of study and the practioner exam.

If your spending 5 hours a week on it i would suggest you could sit the foundation exam after 3 weeks of study and the practioner after another 3 weeks.

Also you need to remember it's really easy

In regards to the two day courses it doesn't teach you anything that you'll remember a week later. You will forget all the knowledge as quickly as it took to learn. You are essentially paying £1,000 to scrape through an exam and forget everything. 2 day course is fine if you are depending on PRINCE2 for a promotion and need it ASAP or you already have prior knowledge and need a refresher but its not real learning.

Granted PRINCE2 isn't mind blowingly difficult but there is a lot of syllabus and material to cover and it genuinely takes time. I would combine the 3 weeks self study with the 2 day course.

Also another consideration is sitting the exam costs just under £200. The 2day course around £1000. So you can literally fail the exam 4x times and it will still be cheaper than the course. And if you fail 4x its knowledge you'll remember for life rather than a week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure