Alternative bank account

Standard advice seems to be to open another account first in case your bank tries to close your's. My son has looked at A&L and Smile but both seem to require £1,000 paid in each month and his salary cheque is below this. Where should he try?

Comments

• You need to look on the Budgeting and Current Account board. I'll shift your thread over there and the users can advice you.
  • Nationwide have no salary requirements...
  • Moonbeam
    Moonbeam Posts: 490 Forumite
    Halifax/Bank of Scotland have a current account that doesn't require minimum credits - current account (type B). They'll also offer you £100 to switch at the moment if you move direct debits and standing orders using their automated account transfer service...

Which bank is your son transferring away from?
  • wadewade wrote:
    Standard advice seems to be to open another account first in case your bank tries to close your's. My son has looked at A&L and Smile but both seem to require £1,000 paid in each month and his salary cheque is below this. Where should he try?

I didn't think there was a minimum credit for the smile account - is it worth another look?
  • anactuary wrote:
    I didn't think there was a minimum credit for the smile account - is it worth another look?

I think smile used to expect £1K/month and offered better rates of interest on other accounts (eg ISA) if you did that. But I don't think they bother now - or, if they do, they don't "police" it very well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure