The Swagbucks Challenge

Options

Comments

• Lochen01
    Lochen01 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    marieukxx wrote: »
    If you haven't got it you need to dl malawarebytes that's great for picking up stuff. Then do your normal virus scan with whatever you have on your pc

Another vote for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware here, it's free and really easy to use and I've found that it can pick up on things that my own anti virus sometimes misses.
  • killerpeaty
    killerpeaty Posts: 2,646 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I don't mind you being bossy :) I have removed it from computor, but can't remember how to do a scan on it?
    Hope you are feeling better soon. My DH suffers from migraines on a regular basis so can symphasise with you.

You will have an anti-virus software on your PC (AVG, Macafee etc), it should be on the right hand side of the bar at the bottom of the screen, double click your antivirus to open it and you should have an option to scan your computer. Click that and it should start, there should also be an option to set up a regular scan somewhere on that screen, it's a good idea to have your PC scanned once a week. If you can't find it, go to the start menu and use the search function "antivirus" and it'll probably appear. : )

It's also a good idea to get malware bytes, this is a stronger virus scan but not necessary for every week, I only use it when I get a virus and my AVG scan cannot find it.
  • marieukxx
    marieukxx Posts: 371 Forumite
    Options
    You will have an anti-virus software on your PC (AVG, Macafee etc), it should be on the right hand side of the bar at the bottom of the screen, double click your antivirus to open it and you should have an option to scan your computer. Click that and it should start, there should also be an option to set up a regular scan somewhere on that screen, it's a good idea to have your PC scanned once a week. If you can't find it, go to the start menu and use the search function "antivirus" and it'll probably appear. : )

It's also a good idea to get malware bytes, this is a stronger virus scan but not necessary for every week, I only use it when I get a virus and my AVG scan cannot find it.

I agree malawarebytes fixed my laptop when it went crazy and nothing else worked. On my dad's pc though whatever was on there was so bad we couldn't even open up that to scan!!! I tried everything. Doing a fresh install was a nightmare.
    Swagbucks - £150 / Dooyoo - £20
    My Survey - £10 / NMA - £5 / IPSOS - £10
    MY GOAL TO ACHIEVE BY XMAS:
    New 42" Full HD LCD TV - £324.98
    TV Stand - [STRIKE]£47.85[/STRIKE] - Purchased
    Total still needed minus vouchers earned [STRIKE]£372.83[/STRIKE] £177.83
  • Minnibix
    Minnibix Posts: 263 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Snozberry & Killerpeaty

Sorry if I sound a bit dense but how did you know you had a virus and more importantly how did you get rid of it.

Im not very pc savvy
  • marieukxx
    marieukxx Posts: 371 Forumite
    edited 1 July 2012 at 8:13PM
    Options
    Minnibix wrote: »

Sorry if I sound a bit dense but how did you know you had a virus and more importantly how did you get rid of it.

Im not very pc savvy

Sometimes you aren't even aware you do have a virus. My dad never realised he did. It was when I went on his pc that I noticed something wrong. In his case his window updates wouldn't download and he couldn't open up is virus scanner or malwarebytes. His system restore was frozen. All websites where you could look for solutions to his problem and download software to help were blocked. Things like that.

On my laptop I just kept getting windows opening themselves when I had a virus.

Sometimes the pc will just be really slow. You can't always tell. Different viruses and trojans do different things to your pc. You find out by running regular scans with your virus scanner or malwarebytes. I have mine setup to scan at certain times and days. Then when it picks something up it will remove it for you with the click of a button

If you haven't got any stuff on your pc I find Malwarebytes great for malware and Microsoft security Essentials OR AVG great for viruses. Both are free to download and recommened by all the techy people around on forums. Download them, do your scans, get rid of any rubbish that pops up then do a regular scan once a week.
    Swagbucks - £150 / Dooyoo - £20
    My Survey - £10 / NMA - £5 / IPSOS - £10
    MY GOAL TO ACHIEVE BY XMAS:
    New 42" Full HD LCD TV - £324.98
    TV Stand - [STRIKE]£47.85[/STRIKE] - Purchased
    Total still needed minus vouchers earned [STRIKE]£372.83[/STRIKE] £177.83
  • ikkle87
    ikkle87 Posts: 8,449 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    On 575 SBs now - that 1st voucher is in near sight :)
    You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

xx Mama to a gorgeous Cranio Baby xx
  • ukclare
    ukclare Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    Don't forget, you don't have to watch the whole video. I find that the meter clocks up after about 40 seconds and then I can click on the next one.

Could you please tell me the "best way" to play the games. I guess it is little and often rather than playing a long game?

Thanks everyone!
  • killerpeaty
    killerpeaty Posts: 2,646 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    marieukxx wrote: »
    I agree malawarebytes fixed my laptop when it went crazy and nothing else worked. On my dad's pc though whatever was on there was so bad we couldn't even open up that to scan!!! I tried everything. Doing a fresh install was a nightmare.

Ok, every virus has a name, this is why every home should have a second computer, you should search the name of the virus. There are techie forums whom I can guarantee have come across and fixed every virus before us mere casual computer users have even caught the damn thing. There are usually step by step instructions, but make sure you read them really carefully and if it's really bad it can take hours. I know you have probably fixed now, but this is really useful to know in the future. A year and a half ago, I had a virus that meant I couldn't even open the task master (to non-techie literate, this is like the strongest control you would normally use), my techie boyfriend found the instructions for me : ) But I got the virus from watching GLEE! ha ha

@minibix; There are two types of virus (this isn't strictly true), one that wants to cause havoc and the other is the one you should really be worried about. The second can cause your computer to become part of illegal activities, to spam, to be a gateway for other people to use your internet access and can steal your details. It's in their best interest to remain hidden or you'd get rid of them immediately. Remaining on safe websites is best to keep clear of these, but let's face it, everyone likes the slightly naughty sites. :rotfl: Just make sure you scan and if you have a problem, take it to an expert.

I have to say this conversation makes me think there is still a market for my boyfriend to start his computer fixing business up in...

This took an awful long time for me to write, started writing gibberish half through..
  • cally6008
    cally6008 Posts: 7,629 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The best techie forum I know of is the Techie Board on MSE :)

Resorting to sbtv toolbar, very slow day today
  • snozberry
    snozberry Posts: 1,200 Forumite
    Options
    Minnibix wrote: »

Im not very pc savvy

It switched my firewall off and I couldn't switch it back on again so I handed my laptop to my fella and he ran a few scans on and found them.

I have malawarebytes running now and it blocked an attempt from the aeroplane offer (worth four swagbucks) earlier today. I must have picked one up from there because the first time I did that offer was on Friday. Have no idea where the others came from but my money is on the special offers bit on the swagbucks website. Never had a virus until I started swagbucking.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure