We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Hand Lawn Mower

Options
2»

Comments

• Akom
    Akom Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    They are pretty easy to put together out the box. What you need to spend a bit of time on is getting the blade to literally just kiss the the bottom guide, think of the 2 blades on a pair of scissors as thats pretty much how it works, and make sure it's the same across the length of the blade. You'll need to rotate the blade to see this.

Dont worry, I'm making it sound harder than it really is and you'll hopefully only have to do it once a year.

Get this right and it'll work a dream.

Regards to the light weight problem thats been mentioned, I've had no problems with the Panther myself as it's pretty sturdily built.

I hope it works for you as well as it does for me.
  • Ash_McCloud
    Ash_McCloud Posts: 21,412 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Horace wrote: »
    Does anyone have any recommendation/comment about the Qualcast Panther? Please can you let me know if it is easy to use too.

Yeah they're easy to use. You need to push them with a bit of a jolt when you set off walking otherwise they tend to just skid along the grass without the blades turning, but once they're in motion it's east enough to push one.

They do clog up if you let the grass get too long between cuts, or try to mow when it's wet, so avoid these situations if possible.

On the plus side, they give a nice clean cut in comparison to a rotary mower, they just pass over the grass and rip it off at speed, whereas a cylinder mower snips the grass neatly between your cylinder blades and the bottom blade. As someone else has said, set it nice and tight to start with, and nip it up regularly so that the cylinder blade meets a little bit of resistance as it turns, but not too much or it'll wear your bottom blade out. They're supposed to make a bit of a clanking noise when you operate them, so don't be alarmed at that :D

Also, you're not gonna get close to any walls or fences with them, so you might have to dig a small border round your lawn. And buy a decent pair of shears for tidying up the lawn edges and any corners you can't get into when you've done with the mower.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure