Military contents insurance vs 'normal' insurance

I have just moved in to a Married Quarter and we are having a big money shake-up. I currently have kit insurance through Towergate but it is pretty limited (about £6k) and about £28/m.

Looking at 'normal' contents insurance I can get very comprehensive insurance for about £150/yr - much, much cheaper.

I am aware that I am probably under-insured with Towergate but I'm certain I will end up being quoted mega bucks to boost my cover.

If I am not deploying why do I need to spend the significant extra ££ on Mil insurance??

Replies

• Andy_LAndy_L Forumite
    12.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    "Normal" contents insurance may not cover it becase you do not own it or, depending on which personal posessions option you choose, may only cover it when its in the house, not when in use or have exclusions that mean its not covered when not in your posession (eg in the back of a 4tonner)
  • da_murphsterda_murphster Forumite
    142 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just spoken to Towergate - you can separate mil and civvy cover

So:
    Issued kit, purchased kit and quarter damage = £98/yr

and separate civvy contents insurance = £150 (not through Towergate)

Towergate doing everything cover was over £600!!

Only thing I am concerned about is the 'quarter damage' which I do not think would be covered with civvy insurance. Not sure if towergate is worth having at all - although they have actually apid out no quibbling when I had to pay.
  • Alias_OmegaAlias_Omega Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    NAFFI Kit & Contents?

It could be worth ringing for a free quote to compare against. I think for about £120 were covered for about £8-10k.
  • PHARRPHARR Forumite
    405 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    I myself am with Towergate wilsons and im currently on their 'highest package'.

This covers me as follows: Military Uniform & Equip - Upto £8000
    Personal Effects - Upto £3000
    Quarter Damages - Upto £10,000

As for individual items iv added my laptop and blackberry.
    This costs me around £30ish a month and im only on this big plan because im on Operational Tour, However i still think its worth it if you claim something in your life with them.

Quarter damages would be good for yourself....but as for civilian kit if its valued over £2500 you can tell Towergate and they'l add it to your insurance i presume.
    Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.
  • Hi maybe take alook at this site? A few people have posted this on the FB mq page.
    Siiap.org
  • If you are in service accm, SLA or MQ, then you now need £20K tenants liability.

Most military kit and contents insurance providers (PAX, Towergates, FF etc.) have included this since Aug last year as standard, but Tesco etc. will not.

If you don't have this then you may find yourself in the sticky stuff as it's now part of the license to occupy.

Regards,
  • da_murphsterda_murphster Forumite
    142 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    JannerXI wrote: »
    If you are in service accm, SLA or MQ, then you now need £20K tenants liability.

Most military kit and contents insurance providers (PAX, Towergates, FF etc.) have included this since Aug last year as standard, but Tesco etc. will not.

If you don't have this then you may find yourself in the sticky stuff as it's now part of the license to occupy.

Regards,

I decided the cheapest and best way to go is full civvy contents cover for £160ish and then £90 for minimum quarter and kit cover.

Full cover from towergate was over £600!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android

MSE App

Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools