PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help Needed with school cookery ideas

My 11 year old son has joined an after school cookery club and I need some ideas for things for him to make.

So far he has made scones, cheese biscuits and gingerbread, but he wants to try 'proper' cooking - ie something for or as part of a meal, rather than cakes and biscuits.

The class lasts for roughly one hour so it must be something that doesn't have too much preparation and/or cooking time.

He is really taking an interest in healthy cooking and eating and often discusses food (organic v non-organic, butchers v supermarkets) that sort of thing and I'm anxious to keep the momnentum going.

I've always cooked from scratch and don't use processed food at all so I should find this really easy - but my mind has gone blank:confused: and I would really appreciate any ideas you ladies might have.

Thanks in advance
People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading ;)
The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali

Comments

• newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    At high school we were banned from doing Spag Bol as it was too easy - something like that would be a good start.

Or Tuna pasta bake or something?

Or omelets?

Or chilli?

Or risotto?

Then you can talk to him about how to adapt all these too and put in extra veg etc
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • Lasagne
    Fish pie
    Shepherds or cottage pie
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • I made toad in the hole at school.
    2024 Decluttering 3273 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
  • Addiscomber
    Addiscomber Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What about having a search through recipes on the bbc site for Ready, Steady, Cook recipes? http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/
    Although the chefs do them in 20 minutes your son would almost certainly take longer - I know I would and I have been cooking for years :rotfl:
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is it just a once a week club? Why not try to have whatever he makes at cookery club is for tea that night? (Then you can start getting him to do it at home another night a week as well ;))

HM pizza
    risotto
    curry
    lasagne
    chicken & mushroom pie
    chilli

Basically anything on your meal plan (if you have one) that can be done in under an hour. You might struggle with casseroles etc, but most things will be fine.
  • I bought my son the Sam Stern books -Cooking Up a Storm and Real Food, Real Fast. Sam is a teenager, a younger version of Jamie Oliver. He has loads of recipes for real meals - salmon, chicken kebabs, burgers, prawns, pizza, stir fries, veggie options, curries, roasts, great healthy snack ideas and quick lunches. There are lots of classy dessert ideas and cakes and biscuits too. Lots of spices and herbs-big flavours.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Real-Food-Fast-Sam-Stern/dp/140630249X/sr=8-1/qid=1172604664/ref=pd_ka_1/202-4560088-2422211?ie=UTF8&s=books
  • poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    How about some healthy but cheap ideas like soups, stir fries, veggie lasagne, macaroni cheese (that was always a favourite when I was teaching!).
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • Amanda65
    Amanda65 Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    What about a quiche? Good as he will get to make pastry as well and bring something home for tea!
  • A home made pizza using pitta bread as a base would work, or a frittata (send him with cooked potatoes), or soup? My kids used to do their prep. at home to leave the cooking time free for the actual cooking (and of course the cleaning up!)

My youngest loves cooking now and does a mean tuna pasta bake!
  • taurusgb
    taurusgb Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Thanks everyone for some great suggestions - have decided to go with the pizza idea for next week (using a yeast free dough from a recipe found on here), and have listed all the other ideas for him to choose from.

Thriftlady - have been debating about buying the Sam Stern books for ages (have MASSES of cookery books already and am trying to remember we have to live in this house as well as store our thousands of books in it!!) but may not be able to resist much longer......................!
    People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading ;)
    The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure