Direct Legal and Collections. Northants. NN13 7DN

Options
jayship
jayship Posts: 387 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 31 March 2012 at 12:40PM in Savings & investments
I have today received a demand from the above company which is a trading name of Hillesden Securities Limited based in Buckingham Rd. Brackley, Northamptonshire. They are demanding payment of £1128.31 on behalf of their client Orange Personal Communications with whom we have had no dealings. However they would accept payment of £116.40 and waive the remaining £1011.91 if paid immediately.

I have no intention of communicating with them despite their threat of registering a default on the credit file. The company registration no is 1418063 which is still active. It looks like a scam where they are willing to write off over £1000. All the paperwork looks very professional. Payment can be made by phoning 0844 800 9889 or via bank giro credit slip. They have also sent a pre-paid envelope.

I wonder if forum readers have heard of the company and what are their experience. I hope this has been posted on the correct board.

I have just added this post on the Praise, Vent and Warnings board

Comments

• Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    They are a debt collector and while there are complaints about their tactics on the internet I don't think they do scams.

Could it be a very old debt you have forgotten about? It might have been for much less originally and the interest has pushed it up. Orange Personal Communications operated the Orange mobile phone network. It was renamed from Microtel.

Alternatively it might just be an error, perhaps the debt was for a previous occupant at your address. Their willingness to discount it so heavily suggests it is a very old debt the original owners have written off. The debt has probably been sold on cheaply hence their williness to negotiate.
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A couple of years ago I put a post here about these matters.

This only applies where they are pursuing a debt covered by the Consumer Credit Act. However, Orange has its own Consumer Credit Licence.

I suggest you complain to Orange first.
  • Ifts
    Ifts Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    jayship wrote: »
    I have no intention of communicating with them despite their threat of registering a default on the credit file.

Just to say I have had similar letters from 2 different debt recovery companies over the years sent to me at my address. On both occasions they were collecting money on behalf of their clients that apparently I owed them. I did call them to say this was some sort of mistake as I have never dealt with the company they were supposed to be collecting an unpaid debt on behalf of.

On both occasions after speaking to them they said not to worry as there has probably been a mix up, I never heard anything else from them.

So if it was not you owing the money maybe just contact them by phone and tell them they have made a mistake. It may well be a mistake on their behalf and this way you can clear it up with them.
    Never let the perfume of the premium overpower the odour of the risk
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I found DLC very reasonable when HORRANGE were pursuing me for an apparent internet debt;I contacted them by phone and followed up with an email including my evidence that the debt didn't exist.They referred back to HORRANGE and I heard no more.
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Options
    Stale debt shark
    Just ignore
    Let them put up or shut up.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • vulcan59
    vulcan59 Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had dealings with DLC when I was sorting out the estate of a deceased relative who owed them money. I found then very helpful and reasonable. I would suggest contacting them and explaining you have no knowledge of the debt. It may well be a mistake and better to get it sorted out now than after they have put a "black mark" against your credit information.
  • jayship
    jayship Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 April 2012 at 12:41PM
    Options
    Thanks to all those who answered to my query. I have today spoken to DLC and Orange Communications and it is definitely identity theft as the transaction is recent although they would not provide details. Orange have handed my complaint to their fraud department to investigate. They will get in touch with DLC who originally requested that i put my concern in writing although the lady @ Orange said there was no need. Neither of them would put it in writing or send an email.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure