Where to invest 30-35k for best returns?

Options
As above really. Decided not to commit to a mortgage until end of 2014 owing to work reasons, as such I've got 30-35k worth of savings sitting there gathering dust.

Any suggestions? Already got it spread throughout various savings accounts and an ISA but feel I'm not making the money 'work' for me if that makes sense.

Probably wouldn't need access to it for 1-2 years in terms of withdrawal as I'd keep a couple of grand on the side as an emergency pot.

Would appreciate any advice.

TIA :)

Comments

• opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    I think a browse through this link is probably the starting point.

Saving rather than investing seems appropriate, given the timeframe.
  • Totton
    Totton Posts: 981 Forumite
    Options
    Could try 2-year fixed term ISA's for some of the cash and put the rest into a two year fixed bond or similar. I wouldn't be putting it into the stock market if you need the money in 2014 but if tempted then I'd select something such as Personal Assets Trust (PNL) or perhaps Capital Gearing Trust (CGT), nothing too risky.

HTH,
    Mickey
  • agent69
    agent69 Posts: 344 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    If you think your £35k isn't working for you, join the club. That's exactly the feeling that most savers have had over the last 2 - 3 years.

Bottom line is that 2 years is not a very long period of time in investment terms so putting money into stocks and shares will be a risky business. You may get lucky or you may get burnt. If you have used up your cash ISA allowance then the best thing is to put your money in the best fixed rate product you can find. It won't break any world records but it will be safe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure