Hi guys (newbie here)

Options
Hi guys!

Basically, I didn't get paid from my new job like I was expecting today. A direct debit for my phone bill has gone out to o2 but there was not enough money in my account to cover this payment, and I am now overdrawn.

- Will this direct debit payment be returned to me? If so, how quickly?
- I am with NatWest, will I be charged for having a direct debit returned to me?

Many thanks in advance, I hope to learn lots from this site to help me keep control of my finances! :)

Comments

• InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, if you have been made overdrawn then the credit has gone and wont be returned to you automatically unless you ask Natwest to return it under the Direct Debit Guarantee.

If you do that then you'll get it back instantly and Natwest wont charge you for doing this BUT (1) assuming you went outside of any authorised overdraft etc then Natwest will still charge you for the unauthorised overdraft even if you subsequently reverse the transaction and (2) O2 may charge you a failed payment fee if you get Natwest to return the funds

Really sounds like something to clear up with your employers rather than asking Natwest to return the funds if they have failed to pay you on time.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 30 March 2012 at 3:28PM
    Options
    What are the grounds for saying that the OP can have this returned immediately under the direct debit gurantee? There is no suggestion of any fraud, dd taken on incorrect date or for incorrect amount etc

If the payment has gone it is unlikely to be returned. The decision to pay it has already been made by your bank. Your account is now overdrawn but presumably if you were'nt paid by your new job today as expectd you will get your pay on Monday, so the overdraft will soon clear.

You will be charged for going overdrawn in accordance with whatever overdraft charges are applied to the type of account you have. You will know if you have an od limit, if you have gone over that limit and what you get charged if you do.

Your bank has probably done you a favour here by letting the dd go through. What would you prefer; this situation or unpaid direct debit, late on your credit report from o2 maybe phone blocekd as well when account unpaid, charge from bank for not paying dd, adverse record on your credit report from bank as they were unable to pay the dd, possible fee from o2 etc etc. In your place I would be thanking the bank for all the potential problems they have saved me.
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Legitimately, obviously not, but on the basis there is no burden of proof on the customer I doubt they will be the first person to claim the DD was wrong and thus envoke the DD guarantee
  • MB22
    MB22 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Many thanks for the responses.

I have managed to sort the error with work and hopefully that will be resolved ASAP. The payment has gone through to o2 anyway, and I am glad it has gone through, having an unpaid direct debit charge returned to me is just a pain in the !!!.

Have a nice day everyone and see you around the forums.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure