PPI claim.

Options
Hi,

I made a PPI refund claim to my bank, and they sent me a form to complete, although I had downloaded the correct format letter to send them originally. Do I need to complete and sent them this form, as some of the details the asked for did not seem relevant to the claim, and they had what I thought was all the detail they should need to process a claim? I wondered if there was something about the form, that if completed it there would be some way of them getting out of the claim.

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Alsurada wrote: »
    I wondered if there was something about the form, that if completed it there would be some way of them getting out of the claim.
    You are being entirely too paranoid about the Bank trying to avoid paying you. Just fill out the form they've sent you as honestly as possible. Remember, you can take your complaint to the Ombudsman if you feel the Bank hasn't treated you fairly.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is the information you supplied in your complaint (not claim as that is something else) similar or sufficient compared to the data they are requesting or does it overlap?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • sooperb
    sooperb Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My son was notified by Northern Rock about possible refund of PPI. He filled in and sent back their form. He has since been contacted by Weclaim Ugain who talked him into seeing them and he then signed their authorisation to act on his behalf. I advised him beforehand not to and having googled he has decided not to use them after all. Is this the right decision, would he get more if they acted for him?

I'm against it because in my mind they will take money off him for their share, his loan was small, about £2k so I doubt he has much coming back to him. They say that NR will not offer as much as they could get, but surely there is a formula that is applied in these cases?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    He has since been contacted by Weclaim Ugain who talked him into seeing them and he then signed their authorisation to act on his behalf. I advised him beforehand not to and having googled he has decided not to use them after all. Is this the right decision, would he get more if they acted for him?

He should cancel ASAP.

Claims companies use the same free of charge complaints process you use. Most send in a one-size-fits-all complaint template (similar or even the same as you get on the web). Often they include reasons which are fake which may help you succeed in some cases (if you dont mind putting in a fraudulent complaint) or can work against you in some cases (e.g. if the firm can show you are telling lies then you lose credibility in all grey/unprovable areas).

The redress calculation is the same however you complain. They will not get more. You just get less as they take x% plus 20% VAT.
    They say that NR will not offer as much as they could get, but surely there is a formula that is applied in these cases?

That is a breach of ministry of justice rules for claims companies and could be just what he needs as a reason to cancel. They have lied to try and get the business. Claims companies are PPI mk2. They are doing the very things in selling their service that they are complaining that the banks did with PPI.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure