PPI Claim resulted in suspension of account?

Options
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone has had their account suspended following a request for PPI information? Sent off the template letters requesting breakdown of PPI and account's t&C and barclaycard have suspended account because they are "unable to provide a copy of the credit agreement you entered into" and "in our view there is a significantly increased risk that you will cease to make payments"..

Reference : Section 78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974

thanks

Comments

• ~Brock~
    ~Brock~ Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It was only a matter of time before credit card companies started pro-actively mitigating their risk in the face of mass complaints by debt avoiders.

I am not saying you are one of these OP, but a s78 request is generally the starting point by which a customer will raise a dispute.....particularly if they cannot genuinely supply the original credit agreement.

They are not going to continue to allow the customer to spend on the card when they may be starting to allege unenforcability as still advocated by certain consumer websites.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Was wondering if anyone has had their account suspended following a request for PPI information?

Yes and no. You are not getting the account suspended for a request on PPI information. You are getting it suspended as they suspect you are trying to get your debt made unenforceable. A request under the CCA doesnt help you with PPI. It is typically the first thing the debt avoiders try to use. Others have seen this but its not due to making a complaint about PPI.

This is logical on their part and quite right and understandable. If you wish to continue using the card you need to tell them that you have no intention of not repaying your debt and are happy to sign a new agreement to allow the service to continue.

And just in case you think you have a get out from not clearing your debt, they may not be able to enforce it in a court of law but they can register the debt as unpaid and in default on your credit file destroying your ability to get credit elsewhere.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure