PPI on statute barred debt sold to DCA

Options
Hi,

I had a credit card with Barclaycard which due to circumstances I defaulted on in 2002.

The debt had been sold to Lowell Group and as I have had no contact or paid any monies to them in over 6 years I assume the debt is statute barred.

I have read some posts that say I can still reclaim PPI against Barclaycard even if the debt has been sold to Lowell and that Lowell are not entitled to any money from the claim.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have read some posts that say I can still reclaim PPI against Barclaycard even if the debt has been sold to Lowell and that Lowell are not entitled to any money from the claim.

Depends on the commercial arrangement between the debt collection agency and the lender. In most cases, the lender will use any redress against any debt written off. In some cases they cannot.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,008 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just a thought, but by doing the PPI claim, does this not mean that you are acknowledging the debt even after the time bar?.
  • tifo
    tifo Posts: 1,945 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It depends what the bank do. Some will refund it to you, some will send it to DCA. The FOS will agree with either.
  • BigPhil
    BigPhil Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    amersall wrote: »
    Just a thought, but by doing the PPI claim, does this not mean that you are acknowledging the debt even after the time bar?.

Nothing can restart the clock after six years so it remains Stat Barred and no enforcement can be undertaken.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure