MSE News: Budget 2012: what the child benefit overhaul means for you

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The Chancellor partly reversed a cut in child benefit, but there is still plenty of confusion. See our Q&A for help..."

Comments

• Is the £50,000 after all the normal tax allowances, as with the 40% rate, or is it on the grosss income?
  • sly_dog_jonah
    sly_dog_jonah Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Useful Q&A worth adding:

Do benefits in kind (eg private healthcare, company cars) count towards income?
    Do salary sacrifice pension contributions affect the income?
    Do salary sacrifice childcare vouchers affect the income?
    How are non-salary sacrifice employee pension contributions treated?

These all relate to the 'adjusted net income' which HMRC referred to yesterday in the budget documents. Some authoritative answers would be good, but some forumites have already had a stab at answering them in this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3863117
    Cider Country Solar PV generator: 3.7kWp Enfinity system on unshaded SE (-36deg azimuth) & 45deg roof
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Question: How will this work being introduced in January when a tax year runs from April?
  • benood
    benood Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    I reckon this means that my marginal tax rate becomes 70% between £50 and £60k (4 children).

Nice work George!
  • sly_dog_jonah
    sly_dog_jonah Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    benood wrote: »
    I reckon this means that my marginal tax rate becomes 70% between £50 and £60k (4 children).

Nice work George!

I make it 73.47% for a 4 child family: 40% tax, 2% NI, 10.56% lost CB for first child, 6.97% lost for each additional child. Oh and an extra 9% if you're still paying back student loans.
    Cider Country Solar PV generator: 3.7kWp Enfinity system on unshaded SE (-36deg azimuth) & 45deg roof
  • benood
    benood Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    I make it 73.47% for a 4 child family: 40% tax, 2% NI, 10.56% lost CB for first child, 6.97% lost for each additional child. Oh and an extra 9% if you're still paying back student loans.

Oh no even worse, why do I bother :)
  • mmillie
    mmillie Posts: 81 Forumite
    Many people get bonuses in the form of company shares. However, if you are taken over 50k by employee share options, you are also generally liable for employers NI, meaning you also pay 13.8% employers NI. So for every £100 in stock options that you get, you will loose;

£13.80 employers NI
    £34.48 income tax (40% of the amount less employers NI)
    £2 national insurance (2% on the full amount)
    £31.47 child benefit loss
    £9 student loan repayment

leaving you with £9.25. So your marginal rate of tax in those circumstances is almost 91%. The good news is that it drops down again after £60k, but then goes back up again at £100k when you start to loose your personal allowance, taking your marginal rate of tax back up to 91% for the next 20k, before dropping again at £120k, and rising modestly at £150k.

This random large up down up down nature of the marginal tax rate
    can't be good for the country. Anyone near these borders is just going to work a bit less because it's just not worth the extra effort, and the government will loose out on tax. Why bother earning £60k rather than £50k if you only take home £1000 more. Better to take 7 weeks unpaid leave, earn £10000 less, and it'll cost you a pittance.

Martin
  • Bokc
    Bokc Posts: 1 Newbie
    If a father earns £65K (net, self employed) per year but pays his ex wife £30K in maintenance, does that mean his new partner is in effect (due to the income tax clawback if child benefit over £60k) barred from receiving child benefit? Despite the fact that the "second family" income contribution from the father is in fact £35K? Does it make any difference whether or not they are married? Will the ex-wife be penalised as well as the current partner?
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,984 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    For Jan-Mar 13 it seems that the whole of your 2012/13 income will be assessed rather than being prorated so anyone earning over 53,333 will lose all their child benefit for this period...nuts?!
    I think....
  • 3under3
    3under3 Posts: 174 Forumite
    I understood that it would take in to account all of your income for 2012/13, but only the child benefit received between 07/01/12 and the end of the 2012/12 tax year. So if you earned 51k you would lose 10% of the child benefit received between 07/01/12 and the end of the 2012/12 tax year. Is that right?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure