Severn Trent - statement doesn't add up!

Options
Hi all,

Severn Trent supply my water, unmetered, to a 4 bed semi. In the past my other half has had issues with paying this bill, and court judgements have been made against her, however we received a ridiculous bill this month and so asked Severn Trent for a statement of all payments/debits on the account.

Statement arrived today, going back to 2005 in typical ledger format (i.e. debits/credits columns) - only problem is, it doesn't balance! From 2005 all is fine, up until the bill in March 2010 where a debit of £345.02 is made to the account, but the balance goes up by an extra £107.11 above this. Obviously this then throws the rest of the statement out by that amount until March 2011 where the new bill of £349.11 is generated. Same happens again, except ledger now goes out by an additional £122.54. Fast forward to the new bill and we get the same, only this time it is out by a whopping £250.26.

Any idea why this should happen? All the charges appear to be on this statement (including interest charges, solicitor costs etc) so where on earth could these extra costs have come from? Anyone else had a statement from Severn Trent like this and noticed the same?

Cheers

JD

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Have you asked Severn Trent to explain?
  • renegade
    renegade Posts: 1,282 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all
    I had a bill from them ,my first since I had a meter fitted, it did not add up so and I queried it.
    I was told they would send someone down to read the meter( the bill said ..estimated reading).

Since then I have heard nothing so I rang them, she said I would be getting a new bill and should receive it it 4-5 weeks!!!

That was after waiting 6 weeks already.
    You live..You learn.:)
  • renegade
    Options
    received my newly revised bill today, not that I understand it, but I am actually in credit £51.68, which is good news.

If I am still in credit at the annual reading date in Sept this year, will I be able to reduce my monthly DD do you think?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    renegade wrote: »
    received my newly revised bill today, not that I understand it, but I am actually in credit £51.68, which is good news.

If I am still in credit at the annual reading date in Sept this year, will I be able to reduce my monthly DD do you think?

What don't you understand?

With Severn Trent you pay:

1. An annual Standing Charge for both water and sewerage.

2. For all the water used in cubic metres.

3. All the sewerage(called used water) used in cubic metres

4. Measured drainage(Surface water drainage) unless you can claim relief from that charge). This depends on your type of property. 3 bands flat/tce, Semi/det, det.

The standing charges are pro-rata.

The only complication is that prices rose on 01/04/2012 and so some charges will be at 2011/12 rates and some at 2012/13 rates.

If your consumption, after allowing for the increased rates, is lower than your DD they will normally automatically lower your DD.
  • renegade
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    What don't you understand?

With Severn Trent you pay:

1. An annual Standing Charge for both water and sewerage.

2. For all the water used in cubic metres.

3. All the sewerage(called used water) used in cubic metres

4. Measured drainage(Surface water drainage) unless you can claim relief from that charge). This depends on your type of property. 3 bands flat/tce, Semi/det, det.

The standing charges are pro-rata.

The only complication is that prices rose on 01/04/2012 and so some charges will be at 2011/12 rates and some at 2012/13 rates.

If your consumption, after allowing for the increased rates, is lower than your DD they will normally automatically lower your DD.

Ah, I didn't know of the price increase that is why I couldn't agree the figures they quote.
    Thanks for your reply.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family