Primus Broadband - Router / VPN problems

Options
I recently signed up to Primus, but I've been unable to connect to my work VPN. (Nortel Contivity VPN). I believe this is an issue with the router they supplied (Technicolor TG582n) so I'm trying to connect with an old router of my own (Belkin F5D7632-4), as yet without success.

I phoned Primus and a very helpful woman gave me the following settings:

VCI - 38
VPI - 0
encapsulation - VC MUX
adsl modulation - PPP0A
MTU - 1432
(and I already have my username and password)

These didn't work at all - the router just will not connect to the broadband service. I'm pretty sure the router is working correctly as I was using it with my BT broadband until about 3 weeks ago.

I phoned Primus again and got a less helpful gentleman who insisted they couldn't help with setting up other routers, but that they do not block VPN access, so as long as the internet was working (it was) I should be able to connect.

I don't suppose anyone can see where I'm going wrong? Any advice would be gratefully received! Thanks :)

Comments

• closed
    closed Posts: 10,886 Forumite
    edited 19 March 2012 at 9:31PM
    Options
    have you compared the settings (quoted above) in your working router with the belkin?
    !!
    > . !!!! ----> .
  • Ximian
    Ximian Posts: 711 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a similar issue many years ago with my Draytek router and the Nortel VPN client not connecting to work's VPN. A firmware update resolved the issue though. I think you have two options:

1.) Try the following: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Nortel-VPN-Client-on-TG582n/td-p/18016
    The solution mentions forwarding ports which seems strange as I have never had to do this with any of the routers I have owned in the past and using different VPN clients.

2.) Get the Belkin router connected to the Primus ISP and see if you can then get the VPN client working.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure