New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Better-off switch to value brands

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
26 replies 3.6K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Many above-average income earners have been forced to switch to buying value or own-label brands to make ends meet ..."
Read the full story:
Better-off switch to value brands

OfficialStamp.gif

Replies

• edited 16 March 2012 at 6:44PM
    richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 March 2012 at 6:44PM
    It's easy to do, just keep the branded Gold instant coffee jar and when empty replace the coffee with own brand Gold coffee and throw the branded empty coffee jar away, thus retaining the brand and making ends meet.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Dave_C_2Dave_C_2 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    During the last year, we have noticed that the Aldi Car park has gradually been getting full and there are are a lot more people in-store - as witnessed by the number of tills in use. Before parking was easy and less people in store.
    The credit crunch is indeed biting.
    Dave
  • EdwardiaEdwardia Forumite
    9.2K posts
    I don't believe the switch to own brand is so simple.

Whereas I might have bought a Bosch fridge in Argos, now that Argos doesn't sell them (and there's no way I'd buy Beko) I bought John Lewis. Own brand yes but arguably a better shop and still a German-made product.

People have probably been decanting Sainsbos own brand shampoo into Body Shop bottles for years. I don't because my mother does that sort of thing and I think it's hideously Hyacinth Bucket.

I buy Lidl products and I certainly don't hide them.
  • ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Almost one in five (17%) in this group said they had cut back use of oil, gas and electricity during this period.
    This is bound to generate pressure on energy suppliers to increase prices.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Definitely busier at our local Aldi, it's normal on a Saturday now to find the car park full. Our routine is to do our main shop in Aldi then drive a mile down the road to Lidl for some other bits. We usually see several others doing the same.

I did think it amusing watching a couple transfer everything into Sainsbury's bags in the car park last week....having packed it into Aldi bags while in the store.
    Long-haul Supporters DFW 120
    Debt @ LBM (October 2007): £55187
    Debt Now (April 2014): £0
    Debt-free-date: [STRIKE]July[/STRIKE] April 2014 :j:j:j
  • A._BadgerA._Badger Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suspect it's somewhat misguided advice anyway.

If the postings to this forum are anything to go by, it is the value brands that have been suffering the most heinous price rises in recent months, under the cloak of 'brand price matching' by the major supermarkets.
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edwardia wrote: »
    I don't believe the switch to own brand is so simple.

Whereas I might have bought a Bosch fridge in Argos, now that Argos doesn't sell them (and there's no way I'd buy Beko) I bought John Lewis. Own brand yes but arguably a better shop and still a German-made product.

I hope you have more luck with JL refrigeration products than we've had. Never again - we've returned to the quality that Bosch provide.

Poor Which? reviews for reliability, and that's been more than borne out by our experiences with two products. To be fair, JL were good about sorting all the problems out, but even they accept that they have a problem with their current suppliers.
  • oldvicaroldvicar Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Trying the cheaper versions is exactly what MSE recommends in order to spend money wisely. If a minority of the well off high income asset rich are doing this it is more likely to prove that they are sensible, rather than being forced to because they can't afford the more expensive product.

My own shopping basket is quite eclectic, and I buy from the full range of price points from the dirt cheap to the seriously luxurious. What I am always looking for is value for money, according to my own quirky value system. Quite often I do not buy a product because 'its not worth it' or 'it will be on offer next week' because I am mean, not because I can't afford it.

If the final paragraph
    Just under three in 10 (29%) of those in the successful security bracket and almost one in five (18%) of those in the exclusive lifestyles category said they are likely to or have already switched to a cheaper supermarket for their basic food shopping
    is true, then the other 70%+ of the affluent or people in poorer categories must be switching to the traditionally more expensive supermarkets. Why else are Waitrose the fastest growing supermarket and Tesco the laggards?

It is also now fashionable amongst the better off to boast about how little you have spent and what a canny shopper you are, rather than how much you have spent. I know some very affluent people who entertain each other to dinners but sometimes compete to spending as little as possible (in Waitrose) on the meal. But they don't stint themselves on wine at prices to make your eyes water :rotfl:.

Overall I don't agree that the article reflects a depressing state of affairs. Instead it is rather refreshing that some people are shopping sensibly. They may well subscribe to MSE.
  • LesULesU Forumite
    338 posts
    Thank you Old Vicar for a breath of fresh air, in this over the top 'we're all doomed' summary of the state of our nation.
    There are too many pundits out there that are too willing to put a negative spin on certain trends in retail.
    We decided a long time ago to find and buy the cheapest branded goods wherever we could and to use the saved money to buy our luxuries in life, thus confounding the average 'expert' in retail analysis.
  • oldvicaroldvicar Forumite
    1.1K posts
    LesU wrote: »
    Thank you Old Vicar for a breath of fresh air

Thanks for the compliment! :A

I must be unwell. Normal service as curmudgeonly old cynic will be resumed as soon as possible. ;)
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support