Renewables: "talking 'bout my generation"

Options

Comments

• cool_techie
    Options
    So far, it has been a better day here in Milton Keynes. Already generated 1.81kWh and the panels are currently steady at 2.60kWh.

Fingers crossed, will get an O today ;)

Regards,
    CT
    12.71kW PV system - 33 panels of JA solar JAM60S20-385/MR facing S-E(18) / N-W (15) with Growatt SPH-6000 and Growatt MIN 6000TL-X inverters, 4 ML33RTA 3.3kWh batteries, Shinephone monitor app and Solar iBoost+. All in the historic, grand old city of Milton Keynes.

3.84kW PV system - 16 panels of Sharp ND-R240A2 facing SE with SMA 4000TL inverter, Geo II monitor and Solar iBoost. All in the historic, grand old city of Milton Keynes.
  • groovyf
    groovyf Posts: 286 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    A terrible past few days mostly hovering around 0.6 - 0.7 O's

Almost midday and it seems I've only generated 960Wh.
    Awesome!
    4kWp system (Feb 2014) : 1.5 SW, 2.5 NE (16x Bisol BMO/250, Aurora Power-One UNO PVI-3.6 Inverter : pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=29935
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Martyn,

You have hit the nail on its head. I have been thinking of the same over the last week.

Bulk of my generation is between 8 & 12 noon. Once the sun is S-SW, the generation drops off a cliff. Maybe things will improve during summer, but that'is the story for winter & autumn.

So the question is should I have put half of my panels on the front roof, which faces SW-W?

Currently they face SE in a 10-6 split (roof-garage). Image is as shown below. The panels are on the red line at the back of the house and the garage roof next to it.

CT

Hiya. SW is a great compliment to SE, but ..... (there's always a but!) if your back roof is SE, then your front roof must be NW not SW, as the photo shows a 180d difference, not 90d.

I know I (and others) have utilised 'N' rooves when/where necessary, but in your case I'd certainly think the SE roof is the priority (as was my ESE).

If space had been too tight for 4kWp, then using the NW roof too probably would have been a good idea, and in hindsight, you could have considered going over 4kWp with the NW roof too, but 4(ish)kWp SE seems perfectly sensible in your case.

Glad to see things have picked up today.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Martyn,

Currently they face SE in a 10-6 split (roof-garage). Image is as shown below. The panels are on the red line at the back of the house and the garage roof next to it.

CT

Just a thought, but is your system split so the 10 and the 6 each go into separate MPPT's on the inverter?

I'm thinking that the garage roof will get shading from your SW neighbour as the sun goes round, so you don't want it pulling down the generation from your top roof.

I don't have a split system running into an inverter, but I believe the display should allow you to see two sets of readings, presumably one of them will have a higher voltage than the other in a ratio of 10:6?

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • cool_techie
    cool_techie Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Hiya. SW is a great compliment to SE, but ..... (there's always a but!) if your back roof is SE, then your front roof must be NW not SW, as the photo shows a 180d difference, not 90d.

I know I (and others) have utilised 'N' rooves when/where necessary, but in your case I'd certainly think the SE roof is the priority (as was my ESE).

If space had been too tight for 4kWp, then using the NW roof too probably would have been a good idea, and in hindsight, you could have considered going over 4kWp with the NW roof too, but 4(ish)kWp SE seems perfectly sensible in your case.

Glad to see things have picked up today.

Mart.

Thanks Mart.:A

Not sure, if i follow you though. If you look at the image, the front side of the roof falls between West and South. Hence my understanding that it is a SW orientation. May be the estate being curved plays a part in the direction going wonky!!

The fact is, from 3:30PM onwards, the front side is bathed is sunshine, till the sun sets around 6PM.

Scratching my head now!!!

Regards,
    CT.
    12.71kW PV system - 33 panels of JA solar JAM60S20-385/MR facing S-E(18) / N-W (15) with Growatt SPH-6000 and Growatt MIN 6000TL-X inverters, 4 ML33RTA 3.3kWh batteries, Shinephone monitor app and Solar iBoost+. All in the historic, grand old city of Milton Keynes.

3.84kW PV system - 16 panels of Sharp ND-R240A2 facing SE with SMA 4000TL inverter, Geo II monitor and Solar iBoost. All in the historic, grand old city of Milton Keynes.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Thanks Mart.:A

Not sure, if i follow you though. If you look at the image, the front side of the roof falls between West and South. Hence my understanding that it is a SW orientation. May be the estate being curved plays a part in the direction going wonky!!

The fact is, from 3:30PM onwards, the front side is bathed is sunshine, till the sun sets around 6PM.

Scratching my head now!!!

Regards,
    CT.

My mistake CT, I'm with you now, I was looking at the wrong roof (Doh!) I was thinking the front facing, front roof, but of course you meant the side of the front sticky out bit, that is nicely lit up in the photo.

Gut feeling ....... yep, that would have made a nice partner for the SE roof, maybe used that instead of the garage roof. But, what's done is done, and I'm sure it'll work fine.

You could consider a PV extension and slap panels all over those front rooves too! :D

Mart.

• tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »

You could consider a PV extension and slap panels all over those front rooves too! :D

Mart.
    Now that's not like you Mart to come out with a suggestion like thatsmiley-laughing025.gif
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • jimmyboy420
    jimmyboy420 Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Couple of bad days.... hoping for 1 O today. :(

0.3 Os yesterday, so wooden spoon territory?
    3.924kWp (12X327Wp SunPower). SolarEdge SE3500 inverter.
    Surrey/SE. 30 degree roof pitch, chimney shading from mid afternoon.
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Another cruddy day.

0.84 O's (3.31 kWh)
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,860 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Andy_WSM wrote: »
    Another cruddy day.