Comments

• tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Merlin139 wrote: »
    Forecast for tomorrow is mostly sunny!!!!! :j
    And you believe it?? smiley-shocked003.gif
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think it is less than £100 mill.......coffee.gif
    Agree, but it's not installed & working yet, so there's plenty of scope for project overspend ... don't forget that everything would be on a 'current cost' basis and there's probably an allowable 10% project capital overspend contingency before any external body starts to ask questions, so it doesn't take much to nudge a planned, current cost, £97million (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/archive/2014/new-hpc) up a little, especially so considering that the project isn't planned to be completed until 2017 .... not that I'm sceptical about the price which Cray will charge, it's just the ability of the public sector to manage projects - they don't really have a very good track record .....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • legoman62
    legoman62 Posts: 4,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Typical Nov day here on the E. Coast:(....well I hope not. 0.55 O's today:)
    16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch. Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. Ripple Kirk Hill. N.E Lincs Coast.
  • KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,872 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tunnel wrote: »
    And you believe it?? smiley-shocked003.gif
    Why the scepticism about weather forecasts? I find they are generally accurate and improving all the time.
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • Oscargrouch
    Oscargrouch Posts: 4,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 3 November 2014 at 12:06PM
    Options
    KevinG wrote: »
    Why the scepticism about weather forecasts? I find they are generally accurate and improving all the time.

Not off to a good start here; see what 16:30 shows....my money is on the Tunnel......:rotfl:

Sun is out all bets are off.......:D
    http://wattson.energyhive.com/dashboard/oscarsenergy
    2.5 kWp PV system, SSW facing, 45 Deg Roof. ABB Inverter, Monitor: 'Wattson'.
    Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters". One very clean Vauxhall Diesel Sri, £30.00 Road Tax: B)

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV Panels).
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    KevinG wrote: »

I thought they were excellent back in 2011. I used to look at the week ahead and insert guesstimates of generation, then replace with actuals (need a life, oh boy do I need a life). The figures were always close.

But from 2012 onwards it all seemed to go to pot. A rainy day say 3 days away could be perfect sun by the time it arrived, and vice versa.

However ..... is it just me, or are the forecasts getting more accurate again, looking 3 to 7 days ahead?

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    However ..... is it just me, or are the forecasts getting more accurate again, looking 3 to 7 days ahead?
    Mart.
    Its just you Mart, it was supposed to be sunny from the off today and yet i got p*ssed wet through on my bike on the way to work;)
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I thought they were excellent back in 2011. I used to look at the week ahead and insert guesstimates of generation, then replace with actuals (need a life, oh boy do I need a life). The figures were always close.

But from 2012 onwards it all seemed to go to pot. A rainy day say 3 days away could be perfect sun by the time it arrived, and vice versa.

Mart.
    Hi

Forecasts around here have been really poor for quite some time. The MetOffice seem to run their model then say it's all true, forgetting to look out of the window to check ... simply looking at satellite images for a few seconds gives a complete novice a better short term forecast than the MetOffice provide via the BBC .... the only thing which they do seem to get right on a regular basis is the predicted wind direction and temperature range.

I understand that the investment in the replacement computer is justified through claiming that it will benefit the economy by around £2billion/year. To me this seems a little 'pie-in-the-sky' considering that the main component of any economic boost would be elimination of waste, mainly agricultural at that. Farmers don't need general UK forecasts to be roughly accurate, they need to know what the weather is going to be like where their fields are, and that a forecast issued is pretty accurate long enough in advance to commit resource ... the problem is that more effort is given to decadal forecasts for climate research because that's where the research money and reputations are ....

So, all of this extra processing power and they'll be able to revise the forecast on a more regular basis .... what does that actually say about their own confidence in what they produce - surely, the aim is to say what the weather's going to be like for a period ahead and it actually happens ... get this right and there's no need to run the computations and issue a forecast on anywhere near the frequency that they do today, let alone more often ... don't you just love vanity projects !!

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Oscargrouch
    Oscargrouch Posts: 4,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No rain today in Northants; sunshine, cloud would not call it 'mostly' sunny...... smiley-laughing021.gif

2.04 O's not my best day this month....:D coffee.gif
    2.5 kWp PV system, SSW facing, 45 Deg Roof. ABB Inverter, Monitor: 'Wattson'.
    Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters". One very clean Vauxhall Diesel Sri, £30.00 Road Tax: B)

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV Panels).
  • legoman62
    legoman62 Posts: 4,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    [QUOTE=Oscargrouch;
    2.04 O's not my best day this month....[]f[/][/QUOTE]

Nor mine either. 2 O's.....I wish:think::think:

1.27 O's for me. Passed 700kWh for this quarter with 11 days to go tho:T
    16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch. Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. Ripple Kirk Hill. N.E Lincs Coast.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback