Renewables: "talking 'bout my generation"

Options

Comments

• Zarch
    Zarch Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    KevinG wrote: »
    I used to but it got too tedious updating it. Only 1.78 Os yesterday but the good news is the sun is shining ... for now.

I think PVoutput really benefits from having automated upload. Any sort of manual submission sounds horrible.

You can auto upload from a variety of sources (https://pvoutput.org/help.html#autoupload)

I've been tracking my leccy consumption for the last few months using an old Current Cost envir CT clamp monitor, plugged into an old Raspberry Pi2 running measureit (https://github.com/lalelunet/measureit). This auto uploads to PVoutput every 5 mins.

So a particularly cheap project to put together. The old Current Cost monitor was £20 off eBay and I had the Pi just lying around. :T

https://pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=66193&sid=58867

My plan when I get my Solar installed is add another CT clamp so that I'll get both generation and consumption tracked and uploaded every 5 mins. :j

Edit: looks like there are DIY solutions using Pis for SunnyBoy setups.
    https://forum.pvoutput.org/t/automatic-upload-from-sma-inverter/43/2
    17 x 300W panels (5.1kW) on a 3.68kW SolarEdge system in Sunny Sheffield.
    12kW Pylontech battery storage system with Lux AC controller
    Creator of the Energy Stats UK website and @energystatsuk Twitter Feed
  • KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,872 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Zarch wrote: »
    My plan when I get my Solar installed is add another CT clamp so that I'll get both generation and consumption tracked and uploaded every 5 mins. :j
    The problem is, your consumption monitor will no longer monitor your consumption but the net figure of your consumption and generation, which can be either positive or negative but the meter makes no distinction between the two, so it ends up being meaningless in any automatic monitoring situation.
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • Zarch
    Zarch Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 September 2018 at 11:52AM
    Options
    The problem is, your consumption monitor will no longer monitor your consumption but the net figure of your consumption and generation, which can be either positive or negative but the meter makes no distinction between the two, so it ends up being meaningless in any automatic monitoring situation.

I'm hoping with the 2nd clamp on the cable coming from the inverter/panels will only record generation.

So i'll end up with one clamp monitoring generation and the other existing clamp monitoring usage as now. The Current cost montor records up to 3 clamps independently and then measureit software on the Pi and ultimately PVO will make the distinction. That's the plan anyway.

Failing that, there is always the fallback option of the SolarEdge API for generation that I could squirt up to PVO. :D
    17 x 300W panels (5.1kW) on a 3.68kW SolarEdge system in Sunny Sheffield.
    12kW Pylontech battery storage system with Lux AC controller
    Creator of the Energy Stats UK website and @energystatsuk Twitter Feed
  • theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JKenH wrote: »
    Couldn’t resist signing up to this. It saves me having to produce my own graphs. Thanks Zeupater :beer:

Do any other forum members use this?
    There is an MSE ForumitesTeam, but not many folk have added their systems.
    Mine is up there, although I've still not figured how to record the 50% export automagically!! So I have to manually add that.
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • KevinG
    Options
    I'm hoping with the 2nd clamp on the cable coming from the inverter/panels will only record generation.
    Correct.
    So i'll end up with one clamp monitoring generation and the other existing clamp monitoring usage as now.
    Except it won't, as I explained.
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • gefnew
    gefnew Posts: 883 Forumite
    edited 7 September 2018 at 1:08PM
    Options
    hi
    There is a post by Dave Fowler about a modified owl meter and ct clamp. That he uses for import export.
    Regards
  • KevinG
    Options
    gefnew wrote: »
    hi
    There is a post by Dave Fowler about a modified owi meter and ct clamp. That he uses for import export.
    Do you mean Owl? It would be helpful if you posted a link to the post.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Correct.

Except it won't, as I explained.

Not quite sure how it works, but the Solaredge monitoring system gives you generation, import and export. It has a clamp on the mains and seems to get the import spot on (matches the import meter), so I assume the export figure it gives is also correct.

So with generation, import and export monitored, you get the info you want.

But I don't know how it knows what is import and what is export. perhaps it asks the electrons where they are going, or coming from?
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • KevinG
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    But I don't know how it knows what is import and what is export. perhaps it asks the electrons where they are going, or coming from?
    If anyone knows of a standalone clamp-on monitor that can do that, it would be handy.
  • KevinG
    Options
    Getting back to the subject of this thread, quite a bit of sun today and 4.57 Os, pretty happy with that. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback