🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

cash advace fees

Options
I have just bought some US dollars from travelex, I used my Alliance & Leicester visa debit card to do this.I have checked my statement online and have been charged 1.5%, went in to A&L and they say that Visa add that fee on themselves and they can't do anything about it.Is that right that Visa can charge me for spending my own money?I used my debit card to avoid paying any fees and I could have got cashback using my credit card.A good tip by the way( found on this site)buy currency through Travelex but price match with http://www.thomasexchangeglobal.co.uk/.I ordered currency on wednesday,emailed about price match on same day and got cheque for difference on friday!!

Comments

• molar
    molar Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    grahalex wrote:
    I have just bought some US dollars from travelex, I used my Alliance & Leicester visa debit card to do this.I have checked my statement online and have been charged 1.5%, went in to A&L and they say that Visa add that fee on themselves and they can't do anything about it.Is that right that Visa can charge me for spending my own money?I used my debit card to avoid paying any fees and I could have got cashback using my credit card.A good tip by the way( found on this site)buy currency through Travelex but price match with http://www.thomasexchangeglobal.co.uk/.I ordered currency on wednesday,emailed about price match on same day and got cheque for difference on friday!!

There is a cash advance fee for buying foreign currency using a Visa debit card. The fee varies from bank to bank and is zero for Nationwide and Halifax cardholders. There is also no fee for Maestro debit cards.
  • grahalex
    Options
    Thats a shame, I have a Nationwide account and could have transfered money before making transaction.
  • King_Of_Fools
    Options
    molar wrote:
    There is a cash advance fee for buying foreign currency using a Visa debit card. The fee varies from bank to bank and is zero for Nationwide and Halifax cardholders. There is also no fee for Maestro debit cards.
    Are you sure it is free for Haifax customers?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport