We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

2006 passat starting problems

tjtigger
tjtigger Posts: 25 Forumite
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
Hi hope someone can help I have a 2006 passat diesel when I put the fob in to start the car it doesn't always work. I have to try a few times to get the lights to come on so I can start the engine. It is not all the time but usually in a morning and if I stop the car and remove the fob and try to start it again. Has anyone else had this problem if so I would be very grateful to know what the problem may be. Thanks in advance.

Comments

  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    tjtigger wrote: »
    Hi hope someone can help I have a 2006 passat diesel when I put the fob in to start the car it doesn't always work. I have to try a few times to get the lights to come on so I can start the engine. It is not all the time but usually in a morning and if I stop the car and remove the fob and try to start it again. Has anyone else had this problem if so I would be very grateful to know what the problem may be. Thanks in advance.

    If by "the lights" you mean the dashboard lights then it must be a fault in the ignition switch. Do you have more than one key and, if so, do they both cause the problem? If so then that must mean the switch itself. I've never experienced a faulty ig. switch in 50+ years of car ownership so I guess that it's quite rare and the scrapyard route might be the MSE way to go
  • GotToChange
    GotToChange Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    As above - the ignition switch could be faulty. Fairly easy/quick job for a garage - cost £90 (on a much older Passat than yours...)
    :D
  • richard734
    richard734 Posts: 489 Forumite
    I had this on our old Passat - wouldnt respond if it was freezing or under - after much arguing with VAG, who seemed to think I was talking tosh as they couldn't recreate teh problem - swapped out teh ignition switch and all was well and good
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.