MSE Article discussion: Mobile Phone Insurance

Comments

• Hi all, just joined and looking to see if anyone has had similar experience. I will attempt to be brief.

Jan 1998, purchased Nokia 1611 through DialaPhone with O2 as line provider.

I have an IMEI number, and my then address in UK.
    O2 cannot trace the contract as it is so old. Certainly cancelled many years ago.

According to Dialaphone and Allianz (the Insurer), insurance was provided "3 monthsfree" then cancell or continue.

I have always had gadget insurance through my home contents so would never have knowingly paid for it. Dialaphone insists it is/was compulsory.

I am trying to get recompense for years of unnecessary insurance but am being fobbed off by all parties. I have requested a copy of the contract but have been advised this may be difficult.

I have always thought the payment was an adjunct to a life insurance so had paid it little attention, but circumstances change !!

Any thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Aye
  • Classy12
    Classy12 Posts: 4 Newbie
    :mad:
    I picked this company as the cover seemed good. My son got an iPhone4 then lost it after 1 month. This was replaced some 2 weeks later. A month later he was then mugged but because he told the police that it was lost (his first words when he reported the crime), they gave him a reference which relates to lost property. His phone was taken off him by a Black Cab driver in Nottingham! Anyway, we reported the crime as stolen as we didn't know any different. Insurance2go won't replace because we said it was 'stolen', which in our view a mugging is but because the police (who don't want the statistics showing in crime) reported it as lost and therefore they won't replace. We followed the claims procedure to the letter, blocking, reporting etc... If we had lied and reported it as lost, they would have replaced. I had also taken out a policy for my boss at work but will not be renewing ever with this company, won't touch them with a barge pole. I would have been better just burning the premium in cash, I would certainly have felt better for it! So beware this company, premium not worth paying, think you are better self-insuring.
  • Beware. I looked at insuring my wife's iPhone with Insure and Go Platinum cover, but reading the Terms & Conditions they give no cover for Loss in any public place or public transport. They also give no cover for loss if your mobile is stolen when inside a car unless it is locked in the boot or locked in the glove box. Also they do not cover a Loss if the mobile phone is in your company/business vehicle. So what do they actually consider is Loss. They will cover Loss if you a robbed and the robber used force or threats.

So if you accidentally leave your mobile phone on a bus, train, taxi, pub, restaurant, shop, betting office, gym, doctors surgery or hospital then it wont be covered for Loss. But then who would do such a thing..!!:money:

Needless to say I didn't take out the cover.:T
  • I'm looking to go away to euros on hols. Don't have a reward account with phone insurance included and I don't think my house insurance would cover trips abroad . Just saw one quote for moby insurance which cost nearly £30 to cover the amount between £60 excess and £150max in case something happened ie £90. That looks like odds of 1/3rd to me. Surely the chance of having an incident would be very much lower than that? Or have I got the math wrong? Looks like I'll just have to take the risk myself.
  • iamparakeet
    iamparakeet Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Considering Insurance2go, but concerned about the theft/loss exceptions:

"Theft or loss of the Telephone left Unattended in a public place or a place to which the public has regular access."
    "Theft of the Telephone from the person unless force, pickpocket or threat of violence is used."
    "Loss where the circumstance of the loss cannot be clearly identified i.e. where You are unable to confirm the time and place of loss."

So you're not covered if you lose the phone in a public place? ie. A pub, a street.
    And you're not covered if you don't know where you lost it, which is many people's general experience of loss?

Also:
    "Reasonable Precautions - All measures that would be reasonably expected of You to take to prevent or mitigate Theft, Loss or Accidental Damage of Your Telephone."

Sounds like a catch-all that could catch you out.

In short...
    What constitutes a loss that someone like Insure2go WOULD pay out on?
  • flyboiuk
    flyboiuk Posts: 6 Forumite
    Im going to get to the samsung galaxy s3, which has a value of approx £500, all im looking for is insurance which will pay up for loss or theft, without squabbling over things!

There are so many get out clauses, im now thinking is there any point!

I am scared about getting such an expensive phone without insurance, but I am at a loss of where to go, for all round fair cover, for loss or theft, is there any point or am I just wasting my money?

One of my friends has lost his iphone when hes been drunk more times than I can remember, his inurance is through his network, and they just send him a replacement.

The phone I want is so much more expensive through the networks than I can get it for at phones4u and that is what is stopping getting me taking out no quibble network insurance.

I am not really bothered about the cost of the insurance, as long as I know I am getting value for money, and I am covered if I loose it or it is stolen, under any situation, can anyone please advise me of a reputable company or your opinions on this matter.

Many thanks
  • ptkloon
    ptkloon Posts: 185 Forumite
    Has anyone had any experience with Bank of Scotland Ultimate reward account phone insurance. I've had this account for a few years now and never had to claim.
    My HTC sensation recently fell out of my pocket onto a hard floor and the inside screen cracked, the outside screen seems ok except from a small crack at the bottom. The phone still works.
    I have asked for a claim form and have been told I'll need to send it back for repair.
    Does anyone know how long it takes to repair and if they will repair it for me without tryiong to get out of it? I realise there is a £30 excess fee.

Anyone have any experience?
  • ptkloon
    ptkloon Posts: 185 Forumite
    Still haven't received my claim form or my returns bag, 9 days after phoning them to complain, my phone still works but the screen is cracked. Hope it doesn't take this long to get repaired as I wont have another phone, and I'll still be paying my pay monthly contract. :mad:
  • Elbie_2
    Elbie_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    halon wrote: »
    I'm looking at Insure & Go as well. Apparently even if you get the Platinum option which covers loss, you're still not covered for "theft or loss whilst in any form of public transport or public place other than when the Product is taken from You by actual or threatened force".

So basically it only covers loss if you're in a private residence? This makes no sense.

Yes, having looked at Insure&Go myself, this is very offputting. The PDF document listing the exact wording of the policy shows a huge raft of exclusions on the Platinum option.

What separates this policy from the cheaper ones is that it purports to cover loss... but when you read the conditions, it actually doesn't.

In my book, 'loss' is when you lose something - so you'd expect to pay more. But, having done so, you'd also expect your insurance to honour this.
  • Raoi
    Raoi Posts: 1 Newbie
    I've been looking at insuring my phone and I've read the article, and I'm thinking about Insure and Go, I'm careful with my phones and always make sure that I have it with me before I leave anywhere, I'm more concerned about the damage, has anyone experience getting a phone repaired / replaced with this company?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback