NatWest Credit Card online protection changed

Options
BenMcr
BenMcr Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 13 March 2012 at 5:25PM in Credit cards
This is my first post, so be kind ;)

It seems that Natwest have dropped MasterCard SecureCode on their credit cards and will be replacing it with other questions. This is what is on my statement:
Using your NatWest Credit Card online is now easier and more secure: When making purchases online you will no longer need to enter a security code. Online payments will be authorised instantly, whilst continuing to provide you with all the security and protection features that we know are important to you

and the Safer Shopping FAQ explains it a bit more (as I'm new cant post the link)
Using NatWest Secure when you shop
Occasionally you may still be required to verify your identity by answering personal security questions before we can authorise your payments. These questions should be easier to remember for our customers as there is no setup or registration required. This is an extra precaution in keeping you safe online.

Anyone got any idea why this has changed as I can't find any info on it via Google. Why drop it, and is the new system really as secure/fraud proof etc?

Comments

• chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting, thanks. My reading of the first paragraph was that by "security code" they meant the CVV digits on the back of the card.

Generally the concern of CCs is that they are not on the hook in the event of fraud rather than reducing fraud overall....
  • BenMcr
    Options
    I didn't think it was the CVV code on the card, as that is usually part of the website's payment form so isn't under NatWest's control.

Just seems odd to me after spending all that effort to introduce the SecureCode/Verified by Visa stuff that they are now dropping it
  • Sussex_Green_Man
    Options
    Hi BenMcr,
    Have you managed to find any more out about this? There does seem to a lack of information about why NatWest appear to have dropped it.

I got a replacement CC with a new nember last year, but my statements just carried on as normal. I called the NW support line to ask if I would need to register the new card with SecureCode and the person I spoke with seemed a bit vague but said that I probably would. I don't use this card much so forgot about it. When I tried to do it recently, like you, I couldn't find any link on either the Mastercard or NatWest sites that would enable me to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure