🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Capital One balance transfer interest warning!

Options
I just thought that I would share my experience as a warning!

I transferred £2,000 :eek: on to a Capital One Credit card, never spent on it and managed to pay it all off just before the one year 0% interest rate expired. 038.gif

This month, when I received my credit card statement, rather than the £0.00 balance I was expecting, there was a balance transfer interest charge of £1.07, not a lot, but I couldn't understand why, as I had paid off all of my credit card balance the previous month, before the "due by date".

When I telephoned Capital One to query the charge they told me that I had been charged interest on the TOTAL amount of the balance transfer, £2,000 and that £1.07 was one day's interest on the £2,000, as the 0% deal ended on 31st January and they received my payment on 1st February!

According to my credit card statement, the payment was not due until 5th February 2007, but I had posted it early, if not I would have paid £5.35 in interest, although my balanced had in fact all been cleared!

This may seem a bit nit-picking, but I just thought that I would let you all know how careful you have to be with these 0% deals.

Minerva

Comments

• jonnyb
    jonnyb Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Congratulations on not using the word illegal, like many posters do.

I'm sure Yorkshire Boy will come along soon with a copy of the T&C's for your deal - the guy is a genius.

There have been lots of similar posts to yours in the past; many other people have not realised that the end of the 0% deal very often does not co-incide with the monthly payment you have to make.
    Karma is a wonderful thing. ;)
  • Minerva_2
    Options
    No, I certainly wasn't implying that there was anything illegal about it, I just wrongly assumed that the end of the 0% deal would coincide with the monthly payment date! That will teach me not to read all the small print!

But I will learn from my mistake and hope that others do too!

Minerva
  • jojo1978_3
    jojo1978_3 Posts: 1,432 Forumite
    Options
    It sounds like your 0% deal ended at some point in January-not the 31st, they wouldn't have charged interest on the full amount that you originally transferred, just the amount that was left owing on your last statement. Did you get a reminder letter or a meassage on your statement a couple of months ago, that advised when the 0% was due to expire?
    I know Capital one made a mistake recently and forgot to notify customers when it was due to expire. Might be worth checking, because if you never got the reminder, they were writing out to advise that they would refund the additional interest.
    :)Henry James Born 18/03/2011-11 days late!:)

• Mozette
    Mozette Posts: 2,247 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for this! I've got a 0% deal with Capital One, so I'll make sure I get it sorted before this happens. Cheers!
  • Minerva_2
    Options
    No jojo1978, the 0% deal definately ended on 31st January 2007 and they charged me interest on the whole of the balance transfer, albeit only for one day. I had cleared my balance completely and was feeling very pleased!

I will check my previous statement to see if they did remind me that it was due to expire though.

Minerva
  • mountainofdebt
    Options
    I think some credit cards do put a reminder on the statements in the run up to a deal ending.

The things I would check first before kicking up a fuss is:

1) what date was the account opened - many deals are from when the account was opened and not when the BT was made.

2) when did the payment (clearing the account) reach the account.

As has previously been mentioned if the due date was after the 12 month anniversary of the account being opened then I think interest would be payable but I would argue only on the balance at the 12 month anniversary date and when you finally paid it off.

Have you still got your terms and conditions leaflet explaining the relevant dates?
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income