We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Driving minibus to Kings Cross Area - advice please
My husband's band are playing a gig at The Water Rats Club on Saturday 31st March and it looks like there will be two hired 17 seater minibuses heading down from Grimsby. The band and some of the 'fans' (friends & family) will go down earlier with all the gear and it looks like I have been volunteered to drive slightly later on the Saturday with the rest of the 'fans' who can't get away so early; more likely to be leaving Grimsby at about 1pm. Google maps says the journey should take three and a half hours so with good traffic and a couple of rest breaks, I'd like to aim to be at the venue for about 6pm ish (people's bladders aren't always in sync! lol).
I can see that the journey will be mostly on the A1 & A1(M) right up to Islington and, although I will have my satnav with me, I'm not familiar with this area, favouring usually to park at an underground station and tube it in whenever we come to London, so this will be a first. Can anyone give me any tips for driving safely in this area of London?
Also, I've read that congestion charge isn't applicable at the weekend but I can't get my head around the emissions tax. The minibus firm uses quite new vehicles but can't quite work out if we need to pay this charge. Any help would be appreciated.
Oh, just to add, I'm not new to driving, been driving for about 30 years, and, until recently, worked for 5 years as an ASDA Home Shopping delivery driver so I'm fine with the size of the minibus (I think that's why my husband volunteered me to drive it!) BUT I've never had the need to drive in the centre of London before!
Thanks in advance. xx
I can see that the journey will be mostly on the A1 & A1(M) right up to Islington and, although I will have my satnav with me, I'm not familiar with this area, favouring usually to park at an underground station and tube it in whenever we come to London, so this will be a first. Can anyone give me any tips for driving safely in this area of London?
Also, I've read that congestion charge isn't applicable at the weekend but I can't get my head around the emissions tax. The minibus firm uses quite new vehicles but can't quite work out if we need to pay this charge. Any help would be appreciated.
Oh, just to add, I'm not new to driving, been driving for about 30 years, and, until recently, worked for 5 years as an ASDA Home Shopping delivery driver so I'm fine with the size of the minibus (I think that's why my husband volunteered me to drive it!) BUT I've never had the need to drive in the centre of London before!
Thanks in advance. xx
DEBT FREE BY 60
Starting Debt 21st August 2019 = £11,024
Debt at May 2022 = £5268
Debt Free Challenge - To be debt free by August 2024
0
Comments
-
-
Thanks for the link... the page goes through to where you enter the registration number but I won't know that until I pick the minibus up and when I looked at other pages on the website the other day, it still wasn't clear to me. I'll ring the hire company for more information on the vehicle.DEBT FREE BY 60Starting Debt 21st August 2019 = £11,024
Debt at May 2022 = £5268Debt Free Challenge - To be debt free by August 20240 -
Thanks for the link... the page goes through to where you enter the registration number but I won't know that until I pick the minibus up and when I looked at other pages on the website the other day, it still wasn't clear to me. I'll ring the hire company for more information on the vehicle.
yes
thing is you have made them aware to whats your plans are so its down to them to supply a lez compliant minibus
i would be looking to get everything in writing of course0 -
I will have my satnav with me, I'm not familiar with this area,
Get an A-Z, and have someone up front with you who can read an A-Z.
There are lots of tall buildings in that area, and tall buildings can affect sat-nav reception. It shouldn't normally, but you can guarantee that when you need the sat-nav, the reception will go.
London is just another city - just bigger, don't let it faze you. It sounds like you're an experienced driver, so everything should be OK0 -
There are lots of tall buildings in that area, and tall buildings can affect sat-nav reception. It shouldn't normally, but you can guarantee that when you need the sat-nav, the reception will go.
And the snake oil is expensive also! A satnav will take you there fine. In fact for Kings X the best route is A1 until you reach the Archway roundabout, right towards Kentish Town. Left at the first major traffic light by Tufnell Park Station and then about 1.2 miles to Kings X. You will find parking ok after 6.30p.m.(after 1.30 in most areas near Kings X) on a Saturday.
Traffic won't be that heavy. As long as you have more than 9 seats you can use bus lanes.
For emissions the right question to ask is whether the minibus is emission iv standard(this is a new tougher standard from the start of 2012) but if it is a newish minibus you should be ok. As suggested above I would get the hirers to confirm this in writing0 -
mini buses & vans need to met the euro 3 standard which anything made 2002 or later does.
I'd have thought you'd be fine in a hired minibus as it's unlikely to be 10+ years old0 -
Thank you everyone! I'll print off an enlarged copy of a google map of the area and I think my road map in the car has blown up city maps in the back too.
I think it's the fear of not knowing the area and worrying about other drivers - they get a little annoyed when someone is cautious because of being in a new area. I've driven in most other cities but there's just something about London that makes me want to use the Tube instead.DEBT FREE BY 60Starting Debt 21st August 2019 = £11,024
Debt at May 2022 = £5268Debt Free Challenge - To be debt free by August 20240
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
