We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Bark Chippings and Pea Shingle, cheapest supplier?

Options
I wonder if you can help.

I plan to put down some bark chippings in my childrens play area approx 7 metres square, does anyone know how much bark I need and where I could the cheapest supply.

Also I have just had the driveway altered slightly and need some more pea shingle to cover the area altered, we will need just under a tonne.

If you have any ideas on the cheapest suppliers I would be most grateful, I am in Berkshire.

Thanks

Comments

• tim_n
    tim_n Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Generic info I'm afraid, I haven't got anything 'local' - normal bark needs replacement and is great for cats to cr&p in. I get mine from tree surgeons. Some do it free, some charge. But it's not 'play' bark. Play bark is bigger pieces, less attractive to cats and doesn't have such sharp edges. I think it's mainly imported.

You can buy it in bulk off the internet to get cheaper prices but that's about all I can offer in advice! There are other better greener materials - shredded tyres last much longer but may not be what you're looking for. They have the advantage of not rotting down in the medium to long term.

Pea shingle, trade builders merchant. You'll probably need to get a tonne as anything under that is very expensive. I think last time I looked it was about £75 a tonne delivered.
    Tim
  • Dopey113
    Options
    Go to Wicks Travis Perkings or Keyline, they will deliver next day for free in one ton bulk bags, and the good thing is they put it where you want it (within reason)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure