We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Tree roots still growing after tree cut down?

Options
Hi,

Last year we had blocked drains. Got them jetted and they pulled out some tree roots. The nearest trees were a leylandii hedge which we have since had taken out (about a month or so after the drains were done). They have blocked again this year and I was wondering if the roots could have grown back from the stumps?

Thanks

Kirsty

Comments

• shy2406
    shy2406 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, Did you dig out the roots of the trees or grind them down and apply root killer or did you just chop them? If you just chopped them, then yes they could keep on growing and you really do need to dig out the roots pretty urgently as the tree could actually start sprouting again as well from the base of the stump
  • quorlia
    quorlia Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Just chopped them down. Will get onto it. Thanks!
  • tim_n
    tim_n Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    leylandii don't tend to grow again after being chopped at the top. May be something else.

You can still apply SBK (or whatever the root killer is called). You drill the stumps and pour in the solution. It could be you have something else other than leylandii though.
    Tim
  • quorlia
    quorlia Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    The things we had chopped down were definitely Leylandii. There are other trees nearby which could also be the problem (all evergreen but two of them are huge (and protected!)). Just wondered whether I could rule the Leylandii out or not!
  • tim_n
    tim_n Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd rule them out - mine haven't spread since I took down 13 of them!
    Tim
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    quorlia wrote: »
    Just wondered whether I could rule the Leylandii out or not!

Yes! :).............................................
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure