We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Teenage son,his PS3 & electricity consumption
Comments
-
I'd no idea, but this website seems to answer your question (and it does use a fair bit of electricity):
http://www.energy.gs/2008/11/how-much-energy-does-sony-ps3-use.html
If you can't convince your son to switch the PS3 off do at least get him to turn the TV off (if he isn't already).
Edit to add: newer PS3s appear to be more efficient than older ones BTW:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10318727-1.html0 -
To be honest I would turn off the PS3, as it will be wrecking the ps3 with him doing that. Unless he has a job where he can buy himself a new one.0
-
When he goes out and leaves it on turn it off, if it is not necessary to be on it is wasting [STRIKE]electricity[/STRIKE] money.
Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.
Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.
Jean Cocteau 1889-1963
0 -
-
So in a game it uses 130W of power (probably less when on hold) which equates to 1kWh per 7 hrs.0
-
He will soon learnUltrasonic wrote: »Don't suppose son would be too impressed if he'd left a game paused!
Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.
Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.
Jean Cocteau 1889-1963
0 -
BirnamBear wrote: »Sad I know but since I've managed to drop my daily electricity consumption from 32kwh a day to 16kwh,I'm wondering when my son disappears out for 3/4 hours at the w/e and leaves his PS3 on with a game paused,is it using much electricity ?
The easy way to answer this is with a plug-in electricity meter like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COST-CONTROL-3000-ENERGY-CONSUMPTION-MONITOR-PLUG-ADAPTER-POWER-METER-NEW-/170733678754?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_PowerAdaptors_SM&hash=item27c08530a2
(no experience with seller).
This is probably a good idea in general, as it lets you reduce the remainder of your electric loads too.
Also - check with your energy suppliers website, to see if you can get a 'clip on' energy meter free or at reduced cost that will let you monitor your whole-house usage in realtime.
Also - Congratulations!0 -
^^^ I love mine which was free from our energy supplier. I love it telling me in pence how much I'm using per hour and if I look at it and think it's too high I send the kids on a mission round the house to switch off things to see how low we can get it.rogerblack wrote: »The easy way to answer this is with a plug-in electricity meter like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COST-CONTROL-3000-ENERGY-CONSUMPTION-MONITOR-PLUG-ADAPTER-POWER-METER-NEW-/170733678754?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_PowerAdaptors_SM&hash=item27c08530a2
(no experience with seller).
This is probably a good idea in general, as it lets you reduce the remainder of your electric loads too.
Also - check with your energy suppliers website, to see if you can get a 'clip on' energy meter free or at reduced cost that will let you monitor your whole-house usage in realtime.
Also - Congratulations!
Is it really cheaper for teenager to be out for a few hours? My 12 yo has gone ice skating with mates at min and I'm sure its cost us more than his xbox plugged in would. :rotfl: 0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

