🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's a great post to kick off the New Year :) tho sorry to hear about the kitties, for themselves and for the expense. Your water must be appallingly hard with you needing to descale the wallpaper stripper!

I have a thing about finding things locally - there's an environmental issue there too, actually (they crop up in the most unlikely places, don't they, sigh ...). I live in a county that people travel to from all over the world, near our capital city which is truly a global city - that doesn't mean I don't want to travel to other places, of course not, but it does mean that "local" is often full of riches :)
    /end rant.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,955 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi KC, yes, I know I should be more inclined to find things locally for the environment's sake.... but I think I get itchy feet as a result of working from home and I do love the sea - it's the biggest draw from home. DH is more than happy to go for a walk around the houses here, but that just makes me depressed! We're pretty good about walking down to our local woods though and enjoy the views from the edge there across the fields. But we went for a walk on Sunday morning that was only 20 mins by car from home (parked at my mum's) and we were walking through countryside that was completely new to us - we could have been anywhere - and it was lovely!

The water is shockingly hard! Even compared to that of my relatives' in nearby towns!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I wasn't challenging you, I was agreeing with you! I don't blame you for being depressed by walking amongst the houses where you live, heavens. 20 mins by car is still local, too. I was thinking of people I know, who drive 12 hours to a holiday home in northern France, and then don't explore France, don't experiment with the lifestyle. That's what rants do, they crop up inappropriately :o
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    Options
    Oh, I know you weren't challenging me (in a bad way - it was a bit challenging in a good way though! :) )

I couldn't go somewhere and NOT explore!!

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• themadvix
    Options
    Invoicing done, small bit of work done, SBing ongoing (nearly halfway to target, despite being screened out of all surveys!), £50 Leisure vouchers claimed from S&S, Ebay/FB items listed/scheduled and freegle request put in.

Time to finish the money shuffle I think....

• themadvix
    edited 3 January 2018 at 12:24PM
    Options
    Morning all! Weather's a bit brighter here today :)

Had a bit more work come in yesterday than expected, which was good. And I think helped to consolidate the relationship I have with that client. The Americans have sent more overnight, so plenty to be getting on with today.

MS things:
    * Sold one ebay item - ~£12 for the debt pot
    * Possible interest on a FB item... but I won't hold my breath!
    * Have resurrected my OP account and at £8.60 there - have to get to £40 before cash-out though
    * 50p PA survey done
    * 35p on VB
    * SBs ongoing.... collected 57 SB bonus from last month and have referred my newly retired mum... not sure how much I'll benefit from it, but hey!

To make myself more accountable I'm going to institute a new section here. My NY resolutions were to listen daily to a podcast related to my evening class, achieve 10,000 steps every day (fitbit for Christmas, achieving anything will be better than previously), play with cats daily to enrich them and do yoga stretches every day.

NY Resolutions:
    * Podcast listened to
    * Yoga done last night and this morning
    * 7,500 steps yesterday - considering I did most of these indoors (while watching The Crown), I am happy with that.
    * Kitty playtime before dinner (and they've had nip this morning too). New toys have arrived for tonight's playtime :)

Gratitudes:
    * Sunshine today
    * Enjoying benefits of decluttered bedroom
    * Screen-free time before bed last night, playing a card game with DH (I lost, I always do!)
    * Work :)

Happy Wednesday Everyone!

• ch4rly2002
    ch4rly2002 Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion
    Options
    Good find with the OP account, nearly a quarter of the way there already and next time you'll only have to get to £25 :)

I love your NYRs and that you've put them on here. I am inspired and have got my Fitbit out, dusted it off and have it charging. I'll have to think about what I want to achieve this year and make some resolutions myself.

I also like the idea of screen free time before bed and might have to borrow that idea too! :D
    Mortgage: Mar 2018 -£300,000 / Jul 2021 -£255,000
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / Jul 2021 -£10,425.28
    Joint Savings: Aim £13.5k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Jul 2021 £36,600
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Apr 2019 £0
    Car Loan: Sep 2018 -£16,265 / Apr 2019 £0
    Credit Card 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Apr 2019 £0
  • themadvix
    Options
    To be honest, after I posted them, I panicked... it's a *lot* to be accountable for!! But even if it doesn't last, at least I've started the way I mean to go on. Go for it with the fitbit!!

DH undid the screen-free time for him by reading his phone in bed... after he was the one who said about it!!

• Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I think screen free time before bed helps me relax. If I've been on the internet or playing games after about 9pm, I find it really difficult to sleep, as my brain is too active! Although, I don't include my Kindle, as reading helps me relax
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • michelle09
    michelle09 Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The Fitbits are a very good way of keeping you accountable. I do long for the days when I routinely did 30,000 steps.

Hope the kitties are feeling better? Would filtered water be ok or could that be bad for them as well?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure