Santander eSaver issue 4

Options
We currently have online savers with Santander and today is the day I sort all our savings and move them to higher paying interest accounts.
I have just gone into the Santander account (we currently have savings and current accounts with them) after the initial page of name, email etc the next page wants to know our employers, net monthly income, job title etc.. we only want to transfer over to savings accounts not current accounts
Please can anyone tell me if this is a new thing...that they need to know all this info before you can give them your savings? I just find it a bit too nosey.
We want accounts with easy access chose to transfer to another Santander account as thought it would be easy option, but if anyone knows of any thing better than 3.10% I would be gratful.
Do all banks/building societies want all this extra info now just to open a savings account?
Many thanks

Comments

• psychic_teabag
    psychic_teabag Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was about to say that Santander was about the best rate available at the moment, but I've just noticed that http://www.!!!!!!.uk/free-services/best-buy-savings-accounts/instant-access/ lists a new account from Coventry offering 3.15% (but only 4 withdrawals per year). (There's also BM offering 3.2% if you have £50k or more.)

Are you applying from within the online banking system ? I'd have thought they'd already know about you if you already have accounts. But now that you mention it, last time I applied for a Santander account I did have to go through all this stuff but the answers were already filled in. (I remember it because they had my employer's address wrong, but when I tried to fix it, they couldn't find the postcode in their database and so rejected it. So I ended up just leaving it with the wrong answer.) You're right, it does all seem a bit intrusive. Most savings accounts don't need all this detail, but there may have been one or two others that have asked for this stuff. (I have lots of accounts since I chase good rates.)
  • marw
    marw Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    I transferred from old E saver with Santander to new E Saver 4 yesterday by telephone. I did not need to give all this information. Why not try telephoning them?
  • katies_mum
    katies_mum Posts: 2,349 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for replying, I`ve already got quite a bit with the Coventry but will have a look at moving what we have into the 3.15% nope not got to £50k yet! Santander already have our money and all we want to do is move it, yes I think it is intrusive and not sure if I want to share that with them (does anyone know why they need this info?)... so pondering on that one whilst I have a coffee!
    Thanks
  • katies_mum
    Options
    marw, I would prefer just to pres buttons, but that might be an easier option thanks. Did they need much info or could they just do a straight transfer?
  • bubieyehyeh
    bubieyehyeh Posts: 587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If they tried this with me I'll be tempted to tell them I'm a privacy consultant, working for "Nosey Parkers" and give a Santander address and postcode.
  • katies_mum
    Options
    Money still where it was yesterday, not sure if I want to stay with them or not because of them being so nosey! having a look around for everything else that is on offer before deciding. (fair enough telling them this info if I wanted to borrow money etc but as its already with in a savings account with them and all I want to do it transfer it...well the mind boggles)
  • eviekins
    eviekins Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone know what date each month the interest gets paid on this account? Thought it would be at the end of the month but didn't receive anything?
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    tempted to tell them I'm a privacy consultant

Uncanny!

When my dentists gave me an overly large and nosey form to complete, I put occupation down as "Medical Malpractice Litigator".

He never sends me reminders.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Siobhan789
    Siobhan789 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    eviekins wrote: »
    Does anyone know what date each month the interest gets paid on this account? Thought it would be at the end of the month but didn't receive anything?

It's monthly anniversary of account opening ie open on 10th feb get interest on the 10th march, 10th April etc
  • eviekins
    eviekins Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Siobhan!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts