MSE News: EDF to pay £4.5 million after mis-selling

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"EDF has agreed £4.5 million for needy households, after Ofgem found its sales staff made misleading claims to customers ..."

Comments

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Martin Lawrence, managing director of energy sourcing and customer supply, says: "We're obviously disappointed that we failed to live up to the high standards that we expect of ourselves. As soon as the issue was identified we immediately took action to satisfy ourselves that we're fully compliant."

So how do we identify to them that their online "My Account" system is unfit for purpose?

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Am I missing something here? 70 000 x £50 is only £350 000, not £3.5M.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ectophile wrote: »
    Am I missing something here? 70 000 x £50 is only £350 000, not £3.5M.

Yep. You're missing a zero! :)

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• cosmic_seahorse
    Options
    Hi,

This is an issue that has been worrying me for a while, but I havn't who or how to complain about it.

I got a phone call in October from an EDF salesman, who sold me the 12 months fixed price gas & electric tarrif.

It didn't occur to me at the time that the guy never took my name and address. When I got the paperwork through, I was shocked to see that it was my mothers name, but my at my address. There has never been any link between these details, and still baffles me as to how on earth this happened.

I rang up EDF and they amended the details, and apologized. This is a shocking breach of the data protection act, and I'm wondering if this problem would be classed as mis selling?

Thanks for reading
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No it's not, because you have not been disadvantaged in any way by it. DP is another issue entirely-nothing to do with mis-selling.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • wakeupalarm
    wakeupalarm Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Are EDF one of the companies who have stopped doorstep selling? Or are they still hiding out.
  • stevenmm01
    Options
    Does anyone know when these sums are being credited to accounts or has anyone received it yet??
  • gemini5
    Options
    From reading this forum it seems the £50 rebate was agreed some time ago. June 2012 I received a letter saying EDF are 'giving' me £45 which, after VAT is deducted, ends up as £42.86.
    Where has the other fiver gone? And excuse me if I'm dim but, if this money is paid out of previous profits arising from overcharging, hasn't VAT already been paid on it?

Further to previous post about MyAccount; it rejected my account number.
    Thank you MSE for being an ear to moan in.
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Options
    gemini5 wrote: »
    From reading this forum it seems the £50 rebate was agreed some time ago. June 2012 I received a letter saying EDF are 'giving' me £45 which, after VAT is deducted, ends up as £42.86.
    Where has the other fiver gone? And excuse me if I'm dim but, if this money is paid out of previous profits arising from overcharging, hasn't VAT already been paid on it?

Further to previous post about MyAccount; it rejected my account number.
    Thank you MSE for being an ear to moan in.

So, they are making their customers pay the VAT on a rebate...:rotfl:

They really don't care do they!
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure