Does '1st Class Recorded' have a tracking number?

Options
Hi

As stated in the title, if something is sent 'Royal Mail 1st Class Recorded' should there be a tracking number available?

Comments

• munchings-n-crunchings
    munchings-n-crunchings Posts: 902 Forumite
    edited 9 March 2012 at 10:37AM
    Options
    1st class recorded doesn't have a tracking number as such, and there is no guarantee of delivery. Just signed for if or when it's delivered, and you have a number to enter on the Royal Mail website to moniter this,

Munchie
  • wannabehermit
    Options
    Yes. I've always had a tracking number on my receipt when sent recorded. Should be 2 letters, then a load of numbers, then GB at the end. The Royal Mail site (NOT the POst Office site) will give you an option to view and print the signature.
    Clean credit file:12 mths
    Car loan: FREE! :j
    THE PLAN: 1.Pay off debt £8808.42(£3254.45, £1570.32, £2698.33, £0:dance:, £1000, £285.32) 2.Save monthly for Christmas/insurance etc £150 per month 3.Save for emergencies /£1500 4.Save for our B&B £????depends which one takes our fancy :D
  • Melisandre_of_Asshai
    Options
    I only ask because I ordered something from Ebay which the seller states has been sent 1st class recorded but they have not entered a tracking number for it.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I only ask because I ordered something from Ebay which the seller states has been sent 1st class recorded but they have not entered a tracking number for it.

that means nothing
    adding the tracking number is optional for the seller
    doesnt mean it wasn't sent RD.
    why are you asking?how long has it been?
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    I think that what muchie means is that although there is a number given for recorded delivery items, this number doesn't provide full tracking of the package.

Special delivery can be tracked through all stages of its journey from drop off to delivery, where as recorded delivery will normally only show when it was accepted at a Post office and when delivery or attempted delivery was made.
  • Melisandre_of_Asshai
    Options
    Its been 5 days from dispatch. Not that long but I tend to receive most first class mail within a couple of days. I know that isnt guaranteed though.
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    Some sellers mark items as dispatched as a reminder to themselves that they have packaged it up and addressed it. Bit daft if you ask me as buyers like yourself expect to receive it pretty soon after seeing it as dispatched.

Even if you had the "tracking" number, it wouldn't show you anything until it's been delivered. RM recorded is just that, it's recorded when it's been delivered. Not tracked all the way like Special Delivery is.

Personally, I would give it a couple of days and contact the seller to check what date it's been posted.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • morganedge
    morganedge Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    Options
    sorry to bump ano old thread, but are there any definitive answers on this?
    Seems to be one for 'yes' and one for 'no'.

I sent an item 1st class recorded delivery, and the buyer is asking me for the tracking number, but there isn't one on the receipt.

Not sure how to reply
  • Techhead_2
    Techhead_2 Posts: 1,769 Forumite
    Options
    morganedge wrote: »
    sorry to bump ano old thread, but are there any definitive answers on this?
    Seems to be one for 'yes' and one for 'no'.

I sent an item 1st class recorded delivery, and the buyer is asking me for the tracking number, but there isn't one on the receipt.

Not sure how to reply

There should be a number on the receipt, but it isn't a tracking number. It just provides a signature for the delivery of the item. It would be hard to miss it; so I guess the item wasn't sent Recorded.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    Are you sure it was RD, and not just Proof of Posting you received?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure