We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How do I stop these accident claim companies calling relentlessly?

I am being hounded on my home and mobile phones by various Accident Claims companies regarding a minor car accident January 2010. However they are using my daughter's name and even trying to speak to my husband now. Neither were involved. When I get annoyed they do too and then simply call back later. They call from 0161 873 5541, 0161 228 6626 and 0161 236 2656. My insurers says they don't pass on details - likewise the comparison websites but nobody else would know my daughter now drives so how do I contact the source? How can I make this stop. 4 calls today!

Comments

  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,022
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Tell them you would like to do a accident claim against them for the accident of calling you?
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 8 March 2012 at 7:41PM
    I like to play with them. I know, I must get out more.

    When they ask for details of the accident, just say for them to check their records. After all, they rang you about it. Be ever so polite. When they accuse you of arguing with them, remind them that you've done nothing but agree with them. Always make your reply an open question, requiring more than a "yes/no" response from them. This should then give you something to (politely) hit them with again.

    It's always worth registering with the Telephone Preference Scheme, but this does take 28 days to take effect. See http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html .

    Or get a whistle. Please note that I said "get", not "use".
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • RegWorts
    RegWorts Posts: 7,700
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 8 March 2012 at 9:26PM
    Anrol wrote: »
    I am being hounded on my home and mobile phones by various Accident Claims companies regarding a minor car accident January 2010. However they are using my daughter's name and even trying to speak to my husband now. Neither were involved. When I get annoyed they do too and then simply call back later. They call from 0161 873 5541, 0161 228 6626 and 0161 236 2656. My insurers says they don't pass on details - likewise the comparison websites but nobody else would know my daughter now drives so how do I contact the source? How can I make this stop. 4 calls today!

    Your telephone provider should have a "Nuisance Call Bureau" with info on how to deal with unwanted calls.

    Try a Google search

    For BT see here
    http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9954/kw/nuisance%20calls%20bureau/c/345,351,363

    BT`s "Choose To Refuse" option

    http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8500/kw/nuisance%20calls%20bureau/c/345,351,363/related/1
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    get a list of companies and once you find out which one is calling tell them one of the other ones is allready dealing with it.
  • Do as you would with all scam or nuisance calls, tell them you'll fetch the person they require (owner/householder etc) then return to whatever you were doing before you anwered the call and leave them hanging on, preferably with the phone beside a small radio playing commercial radio...best when the boring as hell adverts are on.

    Waste their time as much as they waste yours, they are paying for the call.

    I have no time or sympathy for low life parasites.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127
    Part of the Furniture
    Forumite
    Tell them you've already made a claim.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,921
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The trick to dealing with these companies is to change your mindset. Rather than getting annoyed with them you need to mess them about. Every minute you spend on the phone with them costs them money and will prevent them from calling someone else - think of it as a social service to society. So invent an accident, make it absurd, ask them what they are wearing.

    90% of the time these companies do not have you on a list that they have bought from a complicit Insurer, body shop etc. A lot of them randomly dial numbers.
    The man without a signature.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.