Lost letters - help!!

Options
Hi guys. Big problem! All my copies of my bank letters were on my memory stick which has disappeared. I am currently in court with HSBC and am about to take Barclays to court. Am I screwed as I don’t have the letters? I have letters from the bank saying about they won’t refund the money etc.

Arrrghhh!!!
I've just started entering the competitions (July 07). When I win I'll update this signature. Look on the bright side, I shouldn't have to update it very often.

Comments

• lawtz04
    lawtz04 Posts: 585 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone able to advise?
    I've just started entering the competitions (July 07). When I win I'll update this signature. Look on the bright side, I shouldn't have to update it very often.
  • northend
    Options
    Well first of all, shame on you for not having your letters saved/filed elsewhere - memory sticks should only ever be used for transitory files or non-essential backups only.

Depending on how soon you need them you could send in a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act to request them. However if you have already got the letters this way recently, they may have a valid argument in refusing the request on the grounds of you having had the information already. However, they may well comply.

Also if you are going to court, it is my understanding that you need to supply printed copies, not electronic, do you have non of these you can scan back to electronic?

Sorry I can't be of much use.

Simon.
  • lawtz04
    lawtz04 Posts: 585 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I know I am ashamed of myself.

Ive got to the stage of sending in the forms the court sent me after hsbc put in there defence. That was about a week ago.

Because I've used the templates, I suppose I could look at the letters they've sent me and work out my letters as I know roughly when I sent them. Will they be asked to produce what I've sent them? Cuz if they did and it didnt match obviously that would be a prob.

Surely my bank wont comply with me asking for the letters I've sent them if Im taken them to court? Or do they have to legally? Where should I send to ask if I do??

thanks again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure