We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Photina Red Robin hedge

Options
Lotus-eater
Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker
My OH really wants one of these and I know nothing about them.

I can't see to find when is the best time to plant them, so that and the best place to buy them and any other info please! :D
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.

Comments

• Jake'sGran
    Jake'sGran Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Options
    You may be able to buy them in B&Q or Wilkinsons or, if you have a neighbourn who has one, they
    would proably give you a cutting. I have found they are very easy to grow. After pruning the new leaves are a lovely colour. After pruning I just shove them in the ground in a suitable place. I am surprised that he had not been able to find one.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    http://www.buckingham-nurseries.co.uk/acatalog/product_10258.html

Always had nice plants/trees/shrubs from them.

My son has one.........it doesn't like his clay soil or semi shade. It's 6' tall and 5 years old but looks a tatty little plant.
    He's cutting it right back this weekend, digging it up and moving it into a different bit with lots more muck and drainage added. If it's not happy next year its going to freecycle.
    The one over the road from him in a pot north facing is lovely!
  • Lotus-eater
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, just used the calculator to work out how much it would cost and it's alot less than I thought. I was working in plant per meter, I forgot they overlapped, doh!

Which means my Mrs gets the hedge and I lose some veg growing space. Damn :D Good job my allotment is coming soon. :)
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There's a new version called 'Little Red Robin' if you're thinking that it will take up too much loverly veg growing space. ;)

If you remove the labels, she may never know, and you can put it down to 'difficult growing conditions.' :D
  • pawlala
    pawlala Posts: 1,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have around a dozen photinas (RR) along a full fence and garden wall. the fiery new leaves down the row look amazing!
  • juliebunny
    juliebunny Posts: 1,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have 2 of these, they survive fairly well in my clay soil and shady side of the garden - apart from ferns, they are the only thing I've ever planted there that has survived beyond one season!
    Less stuff, more life, love, laughter and cats!
    Even if I'm on the shopping threads, it doesn't mean I'm buying! Sometimes it's good to just look and then hit the CLOSE button!
  • Lotus-eater
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    juliebunny wrote: »
    I have 2 of these, they survive fairly well in my clay soil and shady side of the garden - apart from ferns, they are the only thing I've ever planted there that has survived beyond one season!
    Now that sounds very promising, thankyou. :)
  • pollyskettle
    pollyskettle Posts: 2,163 Forumite
    Options
    I love these too and wanted little red robin for our hedge, but we settled on Escallonias in the end - I may end up regretting that and planting RR in a couple of years :(

I think the lovely colour of the new growth looks amazing :)
    "A cat can have kittens in the oven, but that don't make them biscuits." - Mary Cooper
    "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful" - William Morris
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    I ordered hedge plant bare roots a week ago, they were delivered within 3 days, and I planted them this morning :). Maybe you could still get your red robin as bare root?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure