We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
edf and direct debit nightmare
Comments
-
That's the way round their crazy system. You are due a recalculation of your DD after 12 months, so the system doing it when you enter the reading will be in line with that. It'll will be a stupid amount though, so you'll stil have to phone them to get it set to a realistic amount.
As for the "interest", you will only be paying back what you owe, any extra will appear as credit or go towards your bill for actual usage. You would expect to be in credit at the end of the summer anyway, but make sure they cancel the extra direct debit, when enough payments have been taken.
yes but i think they have kept it seperate. im paying 2 direct debits now. i will look on my next month account page and see what happens. abit worried. anybody had this with edf before?0 -
So long as you're happy with what's going out the door, does it matter whether it is going in one lump or two? Although you could think of it as twice as many chances for them to get it wrong! Isn't a direct debit for a fixed amount that only runs for six months called a standing order?
So to clarify, instead of paying off your deficit in one go and getting your direct debit reduced ... you are still paying off the deficit separately albeit over six months and *not* getting the direct debit reduced? It'll all work out eventually but just seems to be another energy company plan to take whatever money they want whether it is justified or not.
Personally I'd have told them to stuff it. Sounds like they are trying to run a policy like E.On where you have to be in permanent credit, but when their actual written direct debit policy says something else. I could just about stomach getting shafted if I signed up for it (I'm with E.On), but getting shafted when I signed up not to be would be a bit much for me.0 -
anybody had this with edf before?
In 8 months, no, though I haven't had a debit balance at the meter reading recalculation. The published policy is that at "annual review" debit balances in excess of £150 will be collected as a lump sum, debit balances less than £150 will be carried forward for 12 months into a recalculated payment. There seems to be an obvious customer strategy there. It is easy to make a manual payment to account details stated somewhere in MyAccount to keep within £150.
You need to ask the date of your "annual review" and if that date is less than 12 months from your start date decide if or how to contest that.
The fact that in practice Edf seem to be ignoring their own £150 published policy is IMO grounds for complaint.0 -
lithopsian wrote: »
I could just about stomach getting shafted if I signed up for it (I'm with E.On), but getting shafted when I signed up not to be would be a bit much for me.
How did you sign up for it?
T and C's ?0 -
well its kinda soughted now but i really dont understand their logic. they will take an extra 29 pounds for 5 monthsp lus 22 to cover the 163 or so. on top of my normal 48 quid a month. *signs* so i have 2 direct debits to them. would just be easier to have one but they said i had to have the second one to cover the debit. lol. i said yeah but juyst increase my DD to 70 a month and that will cover it by th end of summer. they said but we need you to pay off the balance thats why were adding the other DD. lol.0
-
-
lithopsian wrote: »You know that E.On has an explicit written direct debit policy that requires you to be in credit more or less all the time. Hasn't really bitten me yet but sooner or later, if I'm with them long enough, it will.
I know it yes, but if I didn't and switched via a Comparison website, how would I know?
How do they enforce it, legally?0 -
lithopsian wrote: »You know that E.On has an explicit written direct debit policy that requires you to be in credit more or less all the time.
There is reference to that somewhere in an FAQ, but I do not consider it is "explicit" in the .pdf policy guide.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards