Lost and disposed off letters to bank

Options
just thought i'd let you know what has happend today re claiming bank and credit card charges.

mid Jan I sent letters to Lloydstsb and two to MBNA requesting statements for 6 years enclosing cheques etc. As the cheques have not been banked I decided to chase by phone.

Apparently the Lloydstsb letter has been lost, however the bank processed the request over the phone and will have the statements to me in 5 working days. So don't waste time with letters as a phone call will do for LloydsTSB

MBNA on the other hand advised that as I sent the letters to their accounts department they would have been 'disregarded'. I asked for clarification of what is meant by this. Their first explanation was that it will have been returned to the post office, This concerned me as the opened letter being returned contained my credit card account numbers, signature and a cheque showing my bank details etc. So I asked for clarification of this action.

The second explanation was that the letters will have been disposed off by that department as they where not relavent to them. So I asked how they where dispossed of and they answered 'Not sure!'

I did get another address from MBNA to send the letters to again - this time will be by registered post.

Anyone else having problems with the banks losing letters etc. I'm sure if they sent me a letter I wouldn't be able to say i disposed of it as it wasn't relavent!!!

Comments

• nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mah wrote:
    MBNA on the other hand advised that as I sent the letters to their accounts department they would have been 'disregarded'. I asked for clarification of what is meant by this. Their first explanation was that it will have been returned to the post office, This concerned me as the opened letter being returned contained my credit card account numbers, signature and a cheque showing my bank details etc. So I asked for clarification of this action.

The second explanation was that the letters will have been disposed off by that department as they where not relavent to them. So I asked how they where dispossed of and they answered 'Not sure!'

This is entirely unacceptable. I would let the bank know in no uncertain terms that you will be contacting the Data Commissioner as you believe their handling of you request has been casual at best. Unless they send you the requested information without any further delay, you will lodge a complaint. This usually gets things moving.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure