Cats on real wood top layer flooring.. please tell me they wont scratch it!

Hi,

I'm in a bit of a panic! I've just had engineered/real wood top layer flooring put down in the living room and it never occurred to me until now whether my cats will scratch it.. will they? They are maine coons and like to go crazy and run about sometimes, and I'm worried when they slide on the floor they will put their claws out and scratch it!

Silly me didn't consider this before!

TIA!

Comments

• FelinePrincess
    FelinePrincess Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Thanks for your reply :) Sadly I have noticed a couple of scratches (only noticeable when looking on hands and knees!) but I'm hoping that once they've got used to the floor they will keep their claws in when running and sliding, time will tell I suppose :/
  • My MC has too much fur between her toes to scratch things.

As is proven each time she runs around and Tokyo drifts herself round the corners.

Perhaps you could give them socks?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Lovelyjoolz
    Lovelyjoolz Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    We have real wood floors and two cats. Haven't noticed any scratches, but that might be because I'm too busy trying not to pee myself laughing when they skid around corners at top speed, sometimes crashing headlong into the doors. :rotfl:

Although that's mostly just Bert. Sally has more sense :D
    You had me at your proper use of "you're".
  • Revel
    Revel Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We have two cats and wood floors. They have scratched it a bit, but the more noticable scratches are ones we've made :o.

I'd certainly have no worries about putting wooden flooring down again. It's so much easier to clean up cat sick and dead birds from. And as everyone else says, it's fun to watch the cats skate. One of mine has a 180 degree turn/slide down to a tee.
  • TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,532 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have maine coons too and they slide along on our wodden floors however sometimes they do get their claws in but as the OP said those marks are no worse than the ones I have made myself.

So much easier to keep clean totally agree with that.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Eton_Rifle wrote: »
    Keep the cats claws trimmed at all times.

Our cat wears Soft Claws. I don't know if they're available in the UK?

Yes they are:

http://www.soft-claws.co.uk/colourguide.php

soft-claw-cat-nail-cap.jpg

softclaws.gif

I would not use those on cats that go out though - they need/may need their sharp "weapons"
  • I wonder about the ethics of those things. I'm pretty sure they would irritate the hell out of my cats and probably scare them. plus it means they can't retract their claws properly. Personally I think if you choose to have cats you should accept that they have claws and the chances are they will scratch something at some point. You can trim them but tiny will just sharpen them again.
    A Bag A Month Challenge member
  • http://www.soft-claws.co.uk/colourguide.php

softclaws.gif

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Mine are stupid enough to eat little bits of plastic pushed onto their claws. If I were daft enough to try it!

Seriously, we can't even manage to keep tabs on false nails once the packet is opened - there is no way we'd do that and keep a watch on 72 little bits of plastic attached to grumpy cats!
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yes they are:

http://www.soft-claws.co.uk/colourguide.php

softclaws.gif

I would not use those on cats that go out though - they need/may need their sharp "weapons"

What bizzare things they are. Mine would just bite them off, it would make their poop interesting though.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • madget_2
    madget_2 Posts: 668 Forumite
    I wonder about the ethics of those things. I'm pretty sure they would irritate the hell out of my cats and probably scare them. plus it means they can't retract their claws properly. Personally I think if you choose to have cats you should accept that they have claws and the chances are they will scratch something at some point. You can trim them but tiny will just sharpen them again.

It does take them a little time to get used to them, but my cat can fully retract his claws and doesn't seem bothered by them at all now.

I should add that we use them on him because he has a very bad skin allergy and the Soft Claws prevent him from breaking the skin when he scratches. This cuts down the need for him to wear a veterinary collar, which he really doesn't like.

I wouldn't dare try to fit them onto our female cat as, whilst she's usually extremely loving, she'd shred us to pieces as she hates her claws being fiddled with!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure