Recommendations for a desktop PC

Options
Anyone got any recommendations where I should buy a new Desktop PC from? I only I need the box as I would plan on keeping the monitor, mouse, keyboard and speakers I currently have and I have a budget of £300 - £450 approx.

I mainly need it for web browsing, computer gaming (mainly older games like Neverwinter Nights 2 and Dragon Age) and e-mail. I'm not big on Laptops and prefer desktops as I don't need to do any computing on the move when away from home.
Cheltenham Dude

"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb. "
Dark Helmet, Spaceballs

Comments

• gonzo127
    gonzo127 Posts: 4,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    one of the current better cheap gaming pc's out at the moment that i know of http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=1213
    Drop a brand challenge
    on a £100 shop you might on average get 70 items save
    10p per product = £7 a week ~ £28 a month
    20p per product = £14 a week ~ £56 a month
    30p per product = £21 a week ~ £84 a month (or in other words one weeks shoping at the new price)
  • sonstream
    sonstream Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :j have a look here very good price for what you get

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Austin.html
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    Options
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • gonzo127
    edited 1 March 2012 at 10:25AM
    Options
    m5rcc wrote: »

Tis cheap and very good value for what you get but not great for gaming due to only having integrated graphics and if you want to add in a good graphics card you would also need to upgrade the PSU which is only 300w as supplied,

of course this could be done and still got within budget but the op needs to realise this is a semi DIY job as you also have to install the operating system a new PSU and a new graphics card

sonstream wrote: »
    have a look here very good price for what you get
    sonstream wrote: »
    yes it is a nice system but same as above only comes with integrated graphics so not great for gaming and the cost of adding in a decent graphics card would put the system well over the ops budget

prosaver wrote: »
    i got mine from here and still giong strong after 3 years (second hand tho)
    prosaver wrote: »
    yep very cheap, and no doubt it is great for the basics, however once again the op has stated doing some gaming and I do not think this would be up to the task of gaming
    Drop a brand challenge
    30p per product = £21 a week ~ £84 a month (or in other words one weeks shoping at the new price)
  • m5rcc
    m5rcc Posts: 1,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    gonzo127 wrote: »

Tis cheap and very good value for what you get but not great for gaming due to only having integrated graphics and if you want to add in a good graphics card you would also need to upgrade the PSU which is only 300w as supplied,

of course this could be done and still got within budget but the op needs to realise this is a semi DIY job as you also have to install the operating system a new PSU and a new graphics card

Cheaper still....

The OP does state gaming but older games, so this should be able to handle it.
  • Bokers
    Bokers Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Have a look at this: overclockers.co.uk/ showproduct.php?prodid=FS-259-OK&groupid=43&catid=2038&subcat=
    I can't post links yet so can a mod/another user repost it?

Just add one of the graphics card options and you'd be good with that :)
  • CaptChadd
    CaptChadd Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    I would get a barebones bundle from Novatech. That way you just get the Desktop tower and nothing else, cutting down on the costs. You will have to install your own operating system, which cuts the costs down even more.

Here is the link:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/barebonebundles/

I buy from novatech all the time, great and cheap shop.
    "Life is too short to worry about life being too short"
  • gonzo127
    Options
    m5rcc wrote: »
    Cheaper still....

The OP does state gaming but older games, so this should be able to handle it.

really good find finding it cheaper,

although i am still not convinced the integrated graphics is up to the job as the G630 comes with the intel HD 2000 graphics chipset which is only as powerful as the (very old) nvidia FX5800 Ultra or the ATI 9800 PRO which really if we are honest suck balls and are just above the minimum requirements for Neverwinter nights 2 (nvidia 5600 ultra or ATI 9500 PRO) so wouldnt even be able to turn the graphics up to high

and this is not even taking into account if the OP will (more than likely) eventually want to move on to more demanding games

but as i said this is a good system, but i feel would require some DIY to make it suitable for the gaming needs of the op
    Drop a brand challenge
  • cheltenham_dude
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses guys, I'll probably need to get an OS to go with what I pick since I'm not a major tech-head.
    Cheltenham Dude

"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb. "
    Dark Helmet, Spaceballs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport