Discounts for full-time students NOT with NSU?

Hi,

I am a full-time student at a community college, so not with NSU. However, we can all get a letter from the college confirming full-time studies.

What student discounts are available to non-NSU students?

Thanks so much :beer::j

Comments

• When you go in to a shop just ask if they do student discounts.
    If they do they might ask for an NUS card in that case you can't get them. But some stores only ask that you haven't a student card. It's very rare for places to give out student discounts to college students I've found in my area though.
    SAVINGS: £63.86 // £3,000
  • Pont
    Pont Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Not quite understanding the OP.

My daughter is at a 6th form college (aged 16 - As level). She bought her NUS card for £11 back in September 2011 and uses it all the time for discounts.
  • amiehall
    amiehall Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Some colleges and unis are not affiliated with NUS though. My university isn't and it means I can't get an NUS card. Local shops all accept my normal student ID but visiting friends and stuff it is annoying not to be able to have an NUS card as many places won't accept anything else.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #239
    Virtual Sealed Pot #131
    Save 12k in 2014 #98 £3690/£6000
  • Pont
    Pont Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    amiehall wrote: »
    Some colleges and unis are not affiliated with NUS though. My university isn't and it means I can't get an NUS card. Local shops all accept my normal student ID but visiting friends and stuff it is annoying not to be able to have an NUS card as many places won't accept anything else.
    Well I never knew that!

I thought all students would have had the entitlement to join the NUS, just as all (for example) journalists can join the NUJ regardless of if their newspapers were affiliated or not. Could students not apply, on an individual basis, to join the NUS regardless of their university/college's standpoint?

What is the reasoning behind some universities/colleges being affiliated or not? Any ideas of what the NUS think about this?

Apologies for all the questions but really failing to understand as to why some students can join the NUS and others can't. Any NUS reps out there?
  • mmmsnow
    mmmsnow Posts: 388 Forumite
    Pont wrote: »
    Well I never knew that!

I thought all students would have had the entitlement to join the NUS, just as all (for example) journalists can join the NUJ regardless of if their newspapers were affiliated or not. Could students not apply, on an individual basis, to join the NUS regardless of their university/college's standpoint?

What is the reasoning behind some universities/colleges being affiliated or not? Any ideas of what the NUS think about this?

Apologies for all the questions but really failing to understand as to why some students can join the NUS and others can't. Any NUS reps out there?

My previous university never joined the NUS because it would take some of the power away from the students' association (or that's what we were told). I was always annoyed at not being able to get a student discount (especially on Amazon!) and I couldn't have cared less about our SA losing some of its power. It's all political, I think, and I can't be bothered with it!
    MFW 2019 #61: £13,936.60/£20,000
  • The_One_Who
    The_One_Who Posts: 2,418 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Pont wrote: »
    Well I never knew that!

NUS charge the universities a lot of money, money that would be coming out of the budget for student facilities. They also have control over products that can be sold in the bars and the like, because they do deals with the breweries. As an example of this, I'm pretty sure NUS wouldn't permit the selling of Tennent's Lager, which for some inexplicable reason Glasgow students seem to want to buy. This is possibly true of Irn-Bru as well, but I'm not totally sure on that.

If there is already an established council of student representatives, then there really is no need for NUS affiliation. Add the fact that a lot of students don't really like they way they are run, or their policies. For example, I'm pretty sure NUS supported tuition fees at one point, which wasn't really supported by the general student population.

If you like in a city (like Glasgow) that has universities that are not NUS-affiliated then most shops (even ones that say you have to have a NUS card) will give you the student discount on providing your valid student ID.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure