PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Add upstairs shower room to 2 bed downstairs bath?

Options
Hi moneysavers!

I'm looking at buying a 2 bedroom house with a downstairs bathroom. For reasons of convenience, and to increase resale value, thought an upstairs bathroom would be better.

My idea would be to reduce the second bedroom from 14ft square to 14x10ft and make a small 4x6ft shower room.

Is it worth reducing the size of the second bed for a second bathroom? Is there any value to be gained in a 2bed/2bath house?

...And is 4x6ft big enough? Lol

Thanks

Comments

• gemmalouanna
    Options
    Do you mean shower room - just shower? Or toilet also?

I have always said the only way I would consider a property with a downstairs bathroom would be if there was a toilet upstairs for use in the night. A toilet would be the most important thing to get upstairs in my opinion - if that's what the shower room entails then I think it sounds like a good plan :)
  • misspiggy87
    Options
    I was thinking a shower cubicle, toilet and one of those small sinks, if possible. If not, then just a toilet and sink
  • Clearlier
    Options
    There's definitely enough space. I once saw one very clever one where the length of one wall looked like wardrobes but when you opened one of the doors you had the shower on your right, the toilet on your left. I think that the sink was just in front but not 100% sure. It worked extremely well.
  • loracan1
    loracan1 Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think it's worth doing - as a second bathroom I think I'd be looking at space saver type fitments and get it into as small a usable space as possible.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think it depends on your locality. I live in an area of terrace houses built in the early 1900's and most have the bathroom downstairs as an extension. It doesn't make any difference to resale value and is a perfectly acceptable locally. However, if your house is unique and no other houses locally are like that, then an upstairs shower-room (or at least a loo) would be a positive step. I'm not convinced, however, that it would make any difference to the resale value.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    phill99 wrote: »
    I think it depends on your locality. I live in an area of terrace houses built in the early 1900's and most have the bathroom downstairs as an extension. It doesn't make any difference to resale value and is a perfectly acceptable locally. However, if your house is unique and no other houses locally are like that, then an upstairs shower-room (or at least a loo) would be a positive step. I'm not convinced, however, that it would make any difference to the resale value.

When we bought our previous house in 2007 it was configured as main reception room, kitchen, conservatory, bathroom, shower room plus a further four rooms downstairs plus two bedrooms and no bathroom upstairs. This was a very unique period property that was in need of dragging out of the 1980s/90s. Amongst other things we added an upstairs bathroom by borrowing from the 24' x 10' master bedroom, giving us a 16' x 10' bedroom plus a 10' x 8' bathroom. We converted the downstairs bathroom into a second good-sized shower room. Despite it definitely adding to the appeal of the property and in theory making it easier to sell (which we did within two weeks) it didn't add anything to the value of the house.......indeed we lost money on what we paid 3 and 1/2 years previously. The added benefits to us made it totally worthwhile though :o
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sounds good to me too. Still a good sized bedroom. Would it be an en suite, or accessible from the landing? A jack-and-jill one would be great (2 doors), but prob not enough space. I'd definitely push for a shower, loo and sink. They can fit them into the tiniest of spaces, so definitely get some good design advice on this. Corner shower or loo might be a good option.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family