PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Access to garage at rear of property

Options
we are about to buy a house with garage at the back of the garden. the garage is accessed by a road at the back of the property. That is not a through road but leads to few other garages which are privately rented by council / other houses nearby

solicitor has sent me a council letter regarding this. letter is dated in 1998 (we have asked for the latest formal documentation). The letter mentions a yearly fee for access to the garage and some T&Cs, which are below:

a) That the agreement can be cancelled at any time by giving 30 day notice.
b)the licencee to pay all taxes and outgoings which may arise in connection with the use of the land.
c) licencee is to indemnify the council against all claims, costs or actions which may arise out of the land for access purposes.
d) Licensee is to maintain the accessway in common with other users in a reasonable condition to the satisfaction of the council.

Questions are:

1- can the council charge for access to a garage through a road? charge is around £200 a year.
2- What taxes and outgoings may arise?
3- it seems that they can stop my access at any time by giving the notice. this would stop access to my garage. can i do anything about this?
4- do i need to get some sort of indemnity insurance (i might completely be wrong to even think about this) if so any idea how much does it cost?

any other thoughts are welcome. many thanks for ur time.

Comments

• squinty
    squinty Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    1- can the council charge for access to a garage through a road? charge is around £200 a year.- Yes of course

2- What taxes and outgoings may arise? - for example if the Council are planning to resurface they may want to make a charge. - you will be probably be liable for VAT.

3- it seems that they can stop my access at any time by giving the notice. this would stop access to my garage. can i do anything about this? - No

4- do i need to get some sort of indemnity insurance (i might completely be wrong to even think about this) if so any idea how much does it cost?- No

It is not uncommon for Councils to offer a licence to people to use thier land to access garages, or to offer garage plots for people to erect thier own garages. There charge will cover the cost of maintenance of the land etc. The council are leaving thier options open and may, at a future date, decide to sell the land for development and will only grant an agreement that allows this.

In looking at the house you need to decide if you would still be happy if the access was withdrawn.
  • Richard_Webster
    Options
    See below in Red
    Questions are:

1- can the council charge for access to a garage through a road? charge is around £200 a year.
    If the land is not a public highway and they own it why shouldn't they?
    2- What taxes and outgoings may arise?
    Probably none, but if there are any Council doesn't see why it should pay any because they arise out of your use of the roadway
    3- it seems that they can stop my access at any time by giving the notice. this would stop access to my garage. can i do anything about this?
    No, other than try to exert pressure on the Councillors, who may either think it is unfair or take the view that you knew about it so why are you moaning?
    4- do i need to get some sort of indemnity insurance (i might completely be wrong to even think about this) if so any idea how much does it cost?
    Don't see what kind of indemnity insurance would be available here. That tends to be for cases where people have been using an access but haven't got a definite right, but nobody has tried to stop them. Here the Council are saying you can only use it if you pay their fee.

If the estate agents particulars didn't mention any payments for the use of the roadway then possibly it might be a cause for renegotiating the price slightly.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • xyz123
    xyz123 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks for ur replies. i am talking to the solicitors and hopefully it will be resolved to our satisfaction.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure