HALIFAX REGULAR SAVER - ripped off

Options

Comments

• ED
    ED Posts: 617 Forumite
    Options
    Indeed there is something to be said for simplicity.

I use the same method as grumbler, when evaluating whether or not to open an account.

However, if I suspect interest received is wrong, I use the longer method outlined by the MSE poster who rose to the challenge of tabulation not being possible currently in this forum.
  • lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Options
    I have had some horrible posts as I didnt realise that the spaces would be dropped (just like HTML, can you use   here?

Lets try      right now!
    ED wrote:
    Robert_Sterling - Closed down? Halifax's 7% gross Regular Saver is still offered here :

http://www.halifax.co.uk/savings/regularsaver.shtml

I think he meant that just as the interest paid per month grows, the year is up and the account closes, not the offer!
  • monki_man
    monki_man Posts: 368 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Am i right in saying that the money would be better off in a high savings account such as A&L online saver if someone had three grand to invest (if they've used all their isa amount) ?

As you can take out the money/put in the money whenever you want & can put in as much as you want (well £25k in A&L's case)
    [size=-5]Olympic 2007 challenge Started 9 Jan 2007[strike]Aim Silver 2007.00[/strike] Aim Gold 3007.00 Achieved so far:782
    [/size]
    [size=-5]Feb 2007 Grocery Challenge

28th-03rdFeb £17.75
    04th-10thFeb £13.31
    11th-17thfeb £18.54
    18th-24thfeb £17.19
    25th-3rdmar £3.70
    [/size]
  • Viz_2
    Viz_2 Posts: 720 Forumite
    Options
    ED wrote:
    Robert_Sterling - Closed down? Halifax's 7% gross Regular Saver is still offered here :

http://www.halifax.co.uk/savings/regularsaver.shtml

I think he means you get £3000 in there earning 7% then its closed because the 12 months are up.
    Never buy a stupid dwarf -
    Its not big and its not clever.
  • lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Options
    monki_man wrote:
    Am i right in saying that the money would be better off in a high savings account such as A&L online saver if someone had three grand to invest (if they've used all their isa amount) ?

As you can take out the money/put in the money whenever you want & can put in as much as you want (well £25k in A&L's case)

.....and then drip fed into the halifax so you approximately get 1500x7.0% and 1500x5.35%
  • Leia_Stephens
    Options
    Viz wrote:
    I think he means you get £3000 in there earning 7% then its closed because the 12 months are up.

Actually, I don't think the RS a/c is closed after 12 months. Apparently the money and interest earned is "swept" out of it, but the standing orders into it can still continue into a second and subsequent years.

Leia
    I want to be a good saver, but I find it difficult to control my temptation to spend :o .

I owe £1,247 more than I have in savings :( .
  • ED
    ED Posts: 617 Forumite
    Options
    lipidicman + Viz, thanks for clarifying Robert was referring to the anniversary of Halifax's first year Regular Saver causing the account balance to be transferred-out.

Leia is right. Unless the customer chooses to cancel the SO, the Regular Saver continues for a 2nd year (starting with zero balance). Halifax supplies an annual statement upon the anniversary, stating the rate is now 7%.

Derbyshire Bdg Soc let the funds carrying on earning 5.85% gross. As deposits can be as much as £1,000 per month, perhaps this may benefit some readers, here.
  • Leia_Stephens
    Options
    ED wrote:
    Leia is right. Unless the customer chooses to cancel the SO, the Regular Saver continues for a 2nd year (starting with zero balance). Halifax supplies an annual statement upon the anniversary, stating the rate is now 7%.

Thank you, ED :j . It feels good to be right, for a change ;) .
    ED wrote:
    Derbyshire Bdg Soc let the funds carrying on earning 5.85% gross. As deposits can be as much as £1,000 per month, perhaps this may benefit some readers, here.

Before I knew that the RS standing orders could continue and that the rate would go up to 7% I was thinking of moving my regular savings to the Derbyshire Bdg Soc, now I don't know :confused: .

Leia
    I want to be a good saver, but I find it difficult to control my temptation to spend :o .

I owe £1,247 more than I have in savings :( .
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    i wasnt sure when mine finished, so i checked with my bank, and my SO to halifax has been deleted, and all the money swept into a savings account

so i presume its not continuous, and i would have to set up a new one?
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ... the standing orders into it can still continue into a second and subsequent years.

This is true if Halifax set up the SO for you (with no end date).
    If you set up it yourself (as I did - for 11 payments) you possiblly shoud edit it before it vanishes after the last payment or set up a new one if SO already disappeared.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure