We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Plants near waste pipes

Leif
Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
I have some pipes across my garden, a soil pipe encased in concrete, and a storm drain pipe about 1m down. There are near boundaries. Are there any shrubs that would be safe to plant? Are there are trees that would be okay near the drain pipe, preferably fruit? I suspect trees are out, but you never know. I do wonder if the concrete round the soil pipe (required by regs due to close to surface) is sufficient protection and hence that dwarf apple trees and similar would be okay.
Warning: This forum may contain nuts.

Comments

• tim_n
    tim_n Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Trees and shrubs are pretty effective filters - you can use rotted human waste on the base of them and the fruit is safe to eat (or so I've read in several books, I don't tend to do this myself...)

Don't plant root vegetables

Not sure if that's the danger you're talking about however - the trees roots could burrow into the pipes if there are any cracks and cause more problems.

You can get trees that happily grow in containers if the garden is sheltered enough but you'll be doing a lot of watering!

Hope that helps
    Tim
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I would think you'd be safe enough with step over apple trees and similar.

ATM I have a 18' oak growing within a couple of feet of my soil pipe, and while it's been fine there since the person who planted it had that daft idea, I'm not keen to let it see another summer.
  • Leif
    My concern was a root penetrating a pipe and causing a leak. This is not so serious with the storm drain, but the sewage pipe could be problematic with raw sewage seeping into the garden soil. However, the concrete around the sewer pipe should provide protection. As for the other pipe, I am not sure how deep roots go. I know Willow can travel a very long way in search of water, and someone said cherry has invasive roots.
  • emiff6
    emiff6 Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Post
    Cherry is definitely a BAD idea! My neighbour across the road had a cherry about 2 metres from the house sewer drain. It grew huge, and so he had it pruned in Spring. Was that a mistake!!! By summer his drains were blocked - toilets backed up etc. At first the young kids were blamed, he thought they'd stuffed toys down the loo. Had the drains rodded, but within two weeks they were backed up again. The drain men put a camera down and the main pipe was literally solid with tree roots. Pruning the tree had given it an exuberant new lease of life!

He had the tree down and the stump ground out PDQ!
    If I'm over the hill, where was the top?
  • Leif
    emiff6 wrote: »
    Cherry is definitely a BAD idea!

It was not a dwarf root stock then! I know that in the wild cherry is HUGE, 100 feet tall at a guess. We had some locally and the fruit was tasty, but almost impossible to pick.

I'm wondering about apple and plum on dwarf root stock, and a quince further away.
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    We have a quince which is close knit, prickly and doesn't bear much fruit. Have just dosed it with glyphosate to kill the couch grass which was growing through it. It also catches any leaves or litter in the vicinity so personally, wouldn't recommend.
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Leif
    Eenymeeny wrote: »
    We have a quince which is close knit, prickly and doesn't bear much fruit. Have just dosed it with glyphosate to kill the couch grass which was growing through it. It also catches any leaves or litter in the vicinity so personally, wouldn't recommend.

Sounds like you have a flowering quince with small fruit. I think the fruit are barely edible. I have one of those, and I might get rid of it. A quince tree is bigger. My late mother's bore loads of gigantic scented fruit. It was not prickly. And the fruit were nice cooked.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Leif wrote: »
    Sounds like you have a flowering quince with small fruit. I think the fruit are barely edible. I have one of those, and I might get rid of it. A quince tree is bigger. My late mother's bore loads of gigantic scented fruit. It was not prickly. And the fruit were nice cooked.

They are indeed very good. Unfortunately, we have quince leaf spot in the area, so ours may have to go.

Although I have no shortage of space, I've a couple of septic tanks to disguise, as well as the associated pipework, so I'm looking for evergreen things that won't be too invasive root- wise. Conifers have fibrous roots that don't go down very far, so that's one idea, and there are plants like euonymous that can be kept small quite easily.

I'm not going to waste the box bushes there! :rotfl:
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Thanks Leif, didn't realise that there were two types and yes, it does have nice flowers in the summer. Looks like it's surviving the glyphosate... maybe I'll give it another year :)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Leif wrote: »
    My concern was a root penetrating a pipe and causing a leak. This is not so serious with the storm drain, but the sewage pipe could be problematic with raw sewage seeping into the garden soil. However, the concrete around the sewer pipe should provide protection. As for the other pipe, I am not sure how deep roots go. I know Willow can travel a very long way in search of water, and someone said cherry has invasive roots.

And you'd be right to be concerned imo. Roots can be very invasive and can get through the slightest crack in concrete.

Our drains are now collapsed, largely because of root damage.

It's a rented property so the owner is having to shell out big bucks to sort this out.

I'd only ever plant shallow rooting plants in the vicinity and even then I'd worry. :D
    Herman - MP for all! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport