E commerce online selling ratings

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abu/y212/m02/abu0304/s02

Amazon is top and ebay is down to 5th. Ebid member ar every unhappy that ebid is now down at 12th out of 14.

However, I think this is a US poll and it doesn't look very scientific at all. The number of voters was also very small.

Over 7,200 online sellers participated in the 2012 EcommerceBytes Sellers Choice survey, dwarfing the 2,800 responses we received last year. Survey participants judged the 16 marketplace finalists on profitability, customer service, communication, ease-of-use, and indicated on a scale of 1-10 how likely they were to recommend each marketplace as a selling venue to a friend or colleague. Respondents also provided details about the rewards and challenges of selling on each marketplace on which they had experience selling.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• TBH I'm thinking of ditching Ebay now. Amazons charges may be higher but you can get more for the goods you sell. Also so far I've not seen any posts about Amazon screwing sellers whereas its almost a weekly event with Ebay.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    TBH I'm thinking of ditching Ebay now. Amazons charges may be higher but you can get more for the goods you sell. Also so far I've not seen any posts about Amazon screwing sellers whereas its almost a weekly event with Ebay.

Amazon are actually stricter about no fault refunds, refunds without returning goods etc than ebay are.

Personally I think it best to spread sales across more than one site as you may hit different markets.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Crowqueen
    Crowqueen Posts: 5,726 Forumite
    Amazon sellers probably aren't under many illusions about what they demand from them, plus private sellers aren't allowed as much free rein as they are with eBay. The sort of items private sellers can sell on Amazon are restricted very tightly (media items) - so the issues that come up with eBay (e.g. phones and white goods) just don't happen on Amazon. Private sellers are probably more likely to have issues with their responsibilities on eBay than on Amazon.
    "Well, it's election year, Bill, we'd rather people didn't exercise common sense..." - Jed Bartlet, The West Wing, season 4

Am now Crowqueen, MRes (Law) - on to the PhD!
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    As said it is an odd poll. Asking sellers to rate companies they use or have used, the less used ones would end up doing better.

I think the perception of Amazon over Ebay is an interesting one. Amazon is like a strict no nonsense kind of place and Ebay is free & easy but occasionally introduces rules that annoy a lot of people.

A few years ago I was selling solely on Ebay and if I was buying it would be from Amazon, over the last eighteen months or more I've been buying on Ebay more, in general the service is pretty good from Ebay sellers. I think there's a line that they're at or may have crossed that is bowing to public demand that sellers may not be able to reach, it's a survival of the quickest, some have stopped playing and others are dropping off. I'd imagine Ebay sales are holding up in tough economic times even with some sellers dropping off.
  • Crowqueen
    Crowqueen Posts: 5,726 Forumite
    I buy from both still but in recent years it has been the other way - I now look on Amazon first and then on eBay if I think it might be cheaper. I guess I don't have much disposable income to spend on knick-knacks from eBay, but also I'm getting a bit more frustrated at T&Cs and people's feedback.

I think eBay is too laissez-faire on some aspects of the service but it has to cater to a wider range of people than Amazon. On the other hand the sort of threads on the Community boards are gradually showing more sellers do know their responsibilities and just need a bit of help with some of the details - there are fewer completely psychotically unaware people posting (on Seller Central) at least.

Plus like any forum mostly what gets posted here are the problems. We don't hear about the good times.
    "Well, it's election year, Bill, we'd rather people didn't exercise common sense..." - Jed Bartlet, The West Wing, season 4

Am now Crowqueen, MRes (Law) - on to the PhD!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Crowqueen wrote: »
    I- there are fewer completely psychotically unaware people posting (on Seller Central) at least.

Plus like any forum mostly what gets posted here are the problems. We don't hear about the good times.

I agree, and especially about some of the odd threads on the community boards. Only this month there have been threads where business sellers have absolutely insisted that they are completely safe against an INR if they have POP.

ebid users are very unhappy though , they are used to coming near the top on all customer satisfaction polls and rarely ever get beaten in a poll by ebay. This is possibly their worst showing in any customer poll for years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure