Need to claim but don't know how?

Options
Husband calle dme this afternoon whilst I was at work to advised that there was water coming into the kitchen from the abandoned derilict house nextdoor. He called the property company that own the house who said they would get in touch with their maintenance man and get back to us. They didn't!!
It seems that a pipe had burst/come away next door and water was gushing out!!
We rang our insurance, who asked us to call the water board, called them who told us to call the council, called the council who told us to call the police. Called the police who managed to gain entry, who called the firemen who managed to isolate the water.

Now I need to make a claim as my kitchen wall/floor is wet and soggy. I cannot use my oven, hob, microwave etc as the electrics may have got wet.

I don't know the first thing about claiming on the insurance, what to say, what to ask, what happens next - can someone please help me?

Gert x
Made it - 15 years married!! Finally!! xx:beer:

Comments

• mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    Phone your insurer.
    They'll talk you through it.
  • gerturdeanna
    Options
    OK So called the insurance. They have appointed a loss adjustor who has just called in fact, and will be coming round this afternoon.
    Managed to finally get hold of the man who owns the property next door, only for him to tell me that he hasn't actually bought the property yet!!
    Where does that leave me?
    I don't want my premiums to go up or have to pay the excess of the insurance cos its not my fault!!
    Made it - 15 years married!! Finally!! xx:beer:
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    If you look on here you will find hundreds of threads that are similar.

To be able to reclaim your excess and avoid loss of no claims etc you will need to be able to PROVE it is a specified persons negligence or malicious act that caused the damage and that that person has sufficient funds to be able to reimburse you and your insurers all the costs involved.

Unless it is a long on going problem or you have proof you have previously raised concerns over maintenance etc you are generally going to significantly struggle to prove negligence, even more so if you cannot even identify the owner of the property.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure