PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help me save my lasagne please?

Options
Hi all,

So I don't really cook. Ever. I need to learn and thought I'd start tonight with lasagne. My friend cooked it the other day, it looked easy... Ho hum.

So with a fair few issues like the mince not being quite enough for the size dish I bought today and having to get more - it has now been in the oven for the required 30 mins and the pasta sheets on top look hard and curling. Half are gluten free for the OH which look worse, half are normal which still don't look great.

I've put a bit of water over the top and covered in foil, and put back in the oven at a slightly lower temperature.

Is this the right thing to do? Is there any other way to salvage this? Or do they always do that then miraculously cook perfectly after a bit?

Yes, I'm clueless. If anyone can help save my dinner from the bin I'd massively appreciate it!!!

Thanks!!!
Xxx

Comments

• Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You can see your top pasta sheets? Ours are normally smothered with a layer of cheese sauce and then even more grated cheese.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • splishsplash
    Options
    I'm no expert, but have you covered the top sheets with cheese sauce? I don't think you should be able to see them.

I normally cook mine at about 160 degrees for 40 minutes (to brown the grated cheese on top) if that's any help.
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • Flirtini_2
    Options
    Yes, there was a very thin layer of White sauce and cheese on top but part of the mix up in sizes meant less White sauce than I probably should have... :-(
  • Flirtini_2
    Options
    Thanks for the speedy replies by the way!! X
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Flirtini wrote: »
    Thanks for the speedy replies by the way!! X
    I hate to see good food go to waste ;) How deep is the lasagne - could you remove the dry top layer when you dish up, leaving the rest of the lasagne intact?
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • mumof3plusoh
    Options
    If you haven't put enough sauce on the top and it is too dry and crispy, I would peel that top layer off and the layers underneath should be fine to eat.

HTH;)
    [SIZE=2]SPC4 #1395 Aug 11 £135.75/£150
    SPC5 #1395 Shower fund used £13.60 31/7/12 Banked Farepack administrators cheque £301 19/10/12 £326.40 in the tin....TOTAL £641
    SPC6 #1395 Total £144.62
    SPC7 # 051 Banked so far £100 TOTAL £142[/SIZE]
    SPC8 #051 £46 :(SPC9 #51 £1091.34 :T:T
  • Flirtini_2
    Options
    Thanks guys! It is quite deep so your probably right, we should just eat the rest and hope it's ok underneath! Will let you know how it goes! X
  • splishsplash
    Options
    I think your first reaction to sprinkle with water and cover it was a good one.

If it's still a bit hard and curly after another ten minute, just let it cool a bit and lift off the top layer - the underneath bits will be fine. Just sprinkle a good layer of grated cheese over the layer of newly exposed meat sauce and bubble under the grill.

No-one has to know :D.
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    Options
    You have done what I would have suggested. OK at the very worst the top layer of pasta is going to be hard and crunchy and not edible. You could take this off and just serve the rest which should be fine.

Dont be too disheartened btw - sounds like you just didnt have quite enough sauce. It probably tastes lovely!

Good luck.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As well as covering the sheets with cheese sauce i always wet the sheets under the cold water tap before i place them over the sauce otherwise my lasagne's tend to be a bit crispy on the top too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure