We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Proof Lloyds advertised 'life-long' pet insurance before axing cover

Options
Former_MSE_Guy
Former_MSE_Guy Posts: 1,650 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 27 February 2012 at 4:50PM in Insurance & life assurance
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"MoneySavingExpert.com today provides evidence Halifax and Lloyds TSB advertised pet insurance policies promising "life-long" cover before axing the products, meaning they were anything but life-long ..."

Comments

• SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 27 February 2012 at 5:30PM
    Options
    I see a need for some complaint temp(urr)late letters :D

It does illustrate the need to always take screen prints of advertisements and terms and conditions when buying on-line, especially when something as important as your pet's life is at stake.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • Butti
    Butti Posts: 5,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well lets see what a dictionary says;

lifelong - definition of lifelong by the Free Online ...

life·long (l f lông, -l ng) adj. Continuing for a lifetime. lifelong [ˈlaɪfˌlɒŋ] adj. lasting for or as if for a lifetime.

I'm sorry, I'm reading that as if it lasts for the lifetime of the pet. This has got to be ripe for someone taking them to court.
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. DEBT FREE APRIL 2021.
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    48% off mortgage

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
  • corbyboy
    corbyboy Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Butti wrote: »
    Well lets see what a dictionary says;

lifelong - definition of lifelong by the Free Online ...

life·long (l f lông, -l ng) adj. Continuing for a lifetime. lifelong [ˈlaɪfˌlɒŋ] adj. lasting for or as if for a lifetime.

I'm sorry, I'm reading that as if it lasts for the lifetime of the pet. This has got to be ripe for someone taking them to court.

Or does "lifelong" refer to the life of the policy rather than the life of the pet? Are there any examples of "lifelong" being used in a sentence rather than just as part of a headline? I think that might help.

To be honest if phone companies can get away with advertising "unlimited" internet then I can't see this going very far.
  • bigbarryobama
    Options
    Having worked for Lloyds I know that part of their product range is called 'Protection for Life', offering various types of insurance, critical illness cover etc. It's not a statement that the protection you are taking out is for the whole life of the pet! It's simply the commercial name for the product.

Agree on the Halifax case though, that's much more obvious and misleading.
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,400 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having worked for Lloyds I know that part of their product range is called 'Protection for Life', offering various types of insurance, critical illness cover etc. It's not a statement that the protection you are taking out is for the whole life of the pet! It's simply the commercial name for the product.

Utterly irrelevant. "Life" as a standalone word cannot, using any definition, apply to an inanimate object/scheme. For it to apply, it would have had to specify "Protection for the Life of the Policy". While they may be able to squirm out of any legal culpability, surely that is false, misleading advertising and the mis-selling of a financial product? I know I'd personally be suing them if my pet was affected. As Martin said, at the very best, this is morally bankrupt (yes I know Lloyds is a bank and they don't always operate to the highest moral standards, but this is something else).

From my view, this is akin to a bank creating an account called the "Interest free borrowing Current Account" then telling customers who complain about being charged interest that "the t&c's allow us to charge you".
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    I really don't think they have a leg to stand on from a regulatory perspective, morally or legally.

And I'm not talking about the poorly pets.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

The question must be "why do they call a product Protection for life when in reality they don't mean it ???

VERY MISLEADING FOR THE CONSUMER. Just like the PPI scandal Lloyds have again sold a product that does not work.

Just like the PPI scandal where the majority did NOT have the product fully explained, there is now a case for Lloyds to answer

"DID LLOYDS FULLY EXPLAIN THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS and that
    there logo/front page contradicts there T&C"
    LloydsPetSquare.jpg
    If not then claim all premiums back from them in full.

MIS-SELLING BY LLOYDS IS A WAY OF LIFE FOR THEM.
  • Azari
    Azari Posts: 4,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Would it not be possible to bring a claim for damages as the product was 'not fit for purpose'.

If it is advertised as 'life-long' and it does not last that long then surely it is not fit for the purpose for which it was bought.

Or is our legal system really so screwed up that companies can promise anything to induce you to buy a product and then renege within the terms and conditions?
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Azari wrote: »
    Would it not be possible to bring a claim for damages as the product was 'not fit for purpose'.

If it is advertised as 'life-long' and it does not last that long then surely it is not fit for the purpose for which it was bought.

Or is our legal system really so screwed up that companies can promise anything to induce you to buy a product and then renege within the terms and conditions?

I think the problem is that it is an annual insurance that is (was!) renewed each year. So at the end of each one year contract either party can choose not to renew for the following year. So yes, in that sense, LLoyds/Halifax has kept their side of the bargain for THAT year - but has chosen not to continue offering the product.

Yes, it is totally immoral, but I doubt that it is unlawful (though I would love to be proved wrong).
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure